Default Combining a wonky cut out comb hive onto a proper hive

A woman has honeybees in her house and was ready to kill them. I did my first cut out and it was a chore! Somewhere in the process, the queen bit the dust. There was larvae and I figured that IF the queen did die, they'd make a new one. Well, they didn't.

Now I want to combine the bees in this hive with another queenright hive. The trouble is, the cutout hive has all sorts of wonky, comb that I would rather eliminate.

I could shake them into a fresh super on top of the QR hive. If I did that, what would happen to the bees that fly and are no where near their old hive location? Do they make nice and join a hive or do they die looking for a place to live?

Your thoughts?
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Default Re: Combining a wonky cut out comb hive onto a proper hive

Are they on the same stand ? If so, slide it over a little bit every day untill its within 2 foot and then remove the hive and shake it out. If it has laying workers reduce your good hive entrance to about 4 in or so. It will be chaos for several hrs but they will settle right in

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    Are they on the same stand ?
    They are already side by side on the stand!
    No laying worker.
    Shake em and remove their hive?
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Yip they will return to their location and if the only other hive in that general area is the one you want to combine them with they will join them

If you worry about fighting, newspaper combine them and wait a few days then remove the box of wonky comb shake them directly into the hive that way you won't lose many nurse bees either