Thread: New Swarm

Default New Swarm

Hello,

In June of this year I removed a small swarm of honeybees from a neighbors shed. I placed their combs on the frames inside of one of the empty boxes. I did not mess with them until a couple of days ago. I opened the hive and they had not made any progress of building anything besides their comb. They have not produced any honey in their combs. I am seeing capped brood but unable to locate the queen. I have no idea what kind these are unfortunately. They are black with black and yellow butts( no they are not yellow jackets). I do have pictures of these along with the other honeybees I have purchased which are Carolinas.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks
    Shannon
    AKA CamoGirl75

Default Re: New Swarm

Welcome to Beesource!

I don't believe there is a honeybee race/variety called Carolinas - perhaps you might mean Carniolan?

Make sure your photos are no larger than 800x800 pixels (or resize them) and post them using the 'Insert Image' button on the message toolbar.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Yes Carniolan...Ok thank you for that info

DSCF1764.jpg

Does anyone know what kind these are?

Mutts. I have a lot of them. Sometimes I get completely black to almost no black all in the same hive. Feral cutouts or swarms... you get what you get. Most often they will out perform packaged bees.

Laying worker perhaps? All drone brood?

Hello Camo. I think it'll be hard to determine what kind of bees they are with any certainty. As I understand it, the common varieties, Italians, Carniolan (which I have), Russians, can vary in color. I checked hives this morning, and I've got a broad range of color in my hives, from golden light stripes to nearly black striped bees.
    I don't know what kind of winters you typically have, but I'm concerned that your swarm won't have enough winter stores built. It doesn't sound like they've done much.
    I had one of my hives swarm on June 8th, but I was fortunate enough to catch them right after they had swarmed. I rehived that swarm and fed them for nearly two months. They have built out two deeps now, and I think they'll have a chance for winter.
    I saw Rader on this thread, and I'm sure he will have some usable input, or will point you to some existing threads. Good luck to you!

> I saw Rader on this thread, and I'm sure he will have some usable input ....

Hmmm.

I have a lower level of confidence in that than you seem to.

I have seen lots of threads where posters want help identifying a race/variety of honeybee, but I have not seen any convincing answers as to how to do that from photos.

I see nothing wrong with characterizing 'found' bees as mutts.

Even with commercially bred queens, except for those few situations where the queen is II, or the queen breeder has some kind of exceptional drone flooding yards, it seems unlikely that there are many pure queens out there anyway.
    Graham

Hello bbruff,

I have been feeding them some big block of sugar candy and water. They do not have anything stored up at all that's why I am feeding them what was previously mentioned. Since I got these in June everything was blooming specially our garden here I would have thought that they would have started storing,but they haven't.

I am not sure if these are Laying workers or All drone brood.

Not sure if these are laying workers or drone brood. May I ask what are the 2 differences?

Laying workers are adult [female] bees that are laying eggs. Since these workers are not fertilized, those eggs can only grow into drones. Viable colonies raise both workers and drones, but if ONLY drones are raised, that is a serious problem. If the beekeeper takes no action, the colony is doomed as no replacement workers can be raised when only laying workers are laying eggs.

Some photos to help you identify what is happening in your hive ...

photo credit

photo credit

Note the raised caps on the drone brood compared to the worker brood.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 08-24-2014 at 07:34 PM. Reason: rephrase
    Graham

oh oh when I took the sweeper to sweep them off the comb it looks like the first photo. I will take a photo myself and post it here to let you see what I am seeing.
    What do I do if that is the case?

Another picture of capped worker brood.
    Notice the one cell that looks bubbled, that's a drone cell.

Ok I looked and there is larva, capped brood and uncapped honey. This colony is small. I sure hope with continuing sugar water feeding they will survive.

Hang in there girl. Welcome to Beesource. G

I will biggraham and ty for the welcome.

Ok now I have another question. I ordered some new foundation do I dare put them in the fames now or wait til spring?