Default Best time to do a cut out?

I have a colony that came to me in an Owl Box. I restricted the 3" opening, removed the floor, and set it on a deep box with frames. The girls aren't taking to the lower box yet. I closed the bottom entrance. I put a Mann Lake frame feeder in there, and put a robber screen up last week when they got attacked, and restricted the opening more.

Last week when I lifted the owl box off the deep box, I found a small black beetle, and a few larva crawling around on the bottom. Since I can't get into the top of the hive to inspect it, I am thinking that it might be time to do a cut out and get the girls into a regular setup that I can inspect, and treat if needed.

Weather is plenty warm here in the SF bay area, but there is precious little to feed on these days. But they are busy as can be bringing in pollen.

When is the best time to do a cut out, if you had the choice? Needless to say its a huge disruption to the hive, but if they are being challenged, is sooner better.

Oh, yeah, I have found two wax moths on the outside of the box in the past two weeks.

Hive appears to be plenty active, and plenty of bees.

Thanks for any opinions you have.

Cheers, Phil in Fremont.

Default Re: Best time to do a cut out?

Sounds like this morning would bee a good time.

In this situation whenever you have time, but be prepared for it to take twice as long as you think.

For structure removals i generally calculate estimated number of hours for removal, plus add 1 hour for the unexpected, then start that amount of time before sunset. If all goes well and the queen is in a clip in the hive, most of the bees join her after dark. I then vacuum up any clustered stragglers that didnt get the memo about change of address, then move them to their new home after dark. When the hive is situated, I dump the bees in the vac into the hive.

But since they are already contained at your house in a box, get the queen caged and then go at your pace. It really doesn't matter when as long as the new hive is in the same location as the owl box. The returning bees will shift to the hive with the queen.
    TxBeek. KTBHs. Victoria, Tx. along the Gulf coast. Zone 9b.
    Treatment free bees from traps and cutouts.

I am an absolute beginner, and doubt I will ever do a cutout in a structure. However, this morning I did one in a downed log. We started at 7:20 in the morning, just as the sun came up. The bees were all still in the log, sleeping. Temp was about 78. A lot of bees stacked on top of each other at the original entrance and at the broken end of the log. They were reluctant to move or fly. Made it pretty easy to vac them up.
    bee1 (1).jpgbee2.jpg

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific.
    I was thinking what time of year would be best?
    What is the least disruptive on the hive with the greatest chance of success. I suppose it would be bad to move them when they are stressed.
    Thanks for all your replies though.