Default Can't find my (marked) queen!

I decided to requeen, as a way to increase the health of my stagnating hive. Found and ordered one of the few remaining VSH VP queens. It arrived today, but I spent an hrgoing thru my hive, but I couldn't find a queen. There was some (not a lot ) of capped brood, and even a few uncapped larva.

Can anyone give me a tip?!?!?

Thanks

Default Re: Can't find my (marked) queen!

If you have a queen excluder, tape it to an empty box and strain all the bees through it. Odds are good that she will be trapped above.
    W

Put your glasses on? If you dont see eggs, might be gone already.

Don't look for the mark. It's easy to focus on the mark and ignore what is really important. Look for the queen!
    Beekeeping 4 winters, 18 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by gunter62 View Post
    Don't look for the mark. It's easy to focus on the mark and ignore what is really important. Look for the queen!
    One time I had trouble finding my marked queen. Then I spotted a bee with an large abdomen. I turned the frame around some, and it turned out to be her.

Quote Originally Posted by gunter62 View Post
    X2 G

Lot of times the workers will clean off the mark on the queen. This has been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wcubed View Post
    If you have a queen excluder, tape it to an empty box and strain all the bees through it. Odds are good that she will be trapped above.
    W
    Just curious...have you been successful with this method? Wouldn't bees be flying all over the place and agitated?

Didn't resort to that but a couple times, but kept the queen screen on hand for years. No matter how good you are at spotting queens, and how many frames you inspect, you won't find the queen that hides on a box sidewall, under some of her daughters.
    Walt

Just found my marked queen today that I installed 3 weeks ago. The mark was practically all gone and I assume that they just cleaned her off. Looking for the mark alone I would have missed her entirely.

If the frames are packed with bees I will look first to see if I see her. If I don't see her I will lightly blow on the frame. If the hive is really big it can take some time. This is only necessary on frames that are packed with bees. For me it is a movement thing, she just moves different or something, and it jumps out at me. If they are still I don't think I could find them.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenspotting.htm

If you have some excluders, you can also put one between each box and come back in four days. The queen is in the box with the eggs...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If there aren't any eggs, you might be queenless, or the hive may be in the process of replacing your marked queen - they may have a virgin, not yet mated and laying.

I would move a few frames with nurse bees and emerging brood, to a new location (so any older bees would return home), and introduce your new queen, first to them. Later, after you are certain the original hive is truly queenless, you can newspaper combine them.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I purchased a queen here and put her into a nuc (yes I let go of $25, shocking I know). Checked her after about a week and had a frame of eggs and found that queen. I figured maybe I put too much paint on mine, she was barely marked. Well I checked the hives this weekend and found only about 50 eggs on one frame, no capped brood and could not find that high dollar little B. I think they replaced her just as fast as they could.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)