Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Swarm catcher boxes

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Cleo C. Hogan Jr 
#1 ·
Odfrank... I think you would be proud. When I left my home in Moore Haven Florida in March, I set out two swarm catcher boxes. One inside my shed where bees had previously come to, and another on the walkway on my sea wall. Yesterday my neighbor called and said they both had bees in them.

Today I called Bevy's Bees and she went over to Moore Haven to get them. Two for Two. Hard to beat that.

I am not doing nearly that well in Kentucky. I am only 4 for about 25 boxes out. Normally get about 8 to 10, but, very little swarming this year.

cchoganjr

#5 ·
Mr. Beeman.... Last year I only had one out, and, it caught one. I did not put it out as a swarm box, but, rather, I had brought it to Florida, (it was a totally new box) for my sister, and, she forgot to take it with her when she left. I just left it sitting on the stand I had brought for her, and bees moved in.

Obviously I have a very limited history of swarm boxes in Moore Haven, Florida, but, with the absolute success of the boxes out, in 2 years, it sure seemes like Moore Haven, Florida might be a good place to put out some swarm boxes, if anyone is looking for free bees.

cchoganjr

#7 ·
Today I called Bevy's Bees and she went over to Moore Haven to get them. Two for Two. Hard to beat that.

cchoganjr
They are living happily in my back yard now, collecting melaleuka nectar, and Brazillian Pepper starts in a couple weeks. I will be sure to get some of the honey to you Cleo. Thanks again!

I set up 2 more boxes to replace what I took. The shed bees didn't have a queen with them, she must have been under the floor. So that's more like a Hogan Harvest where they can continue to build. I combined what I took with a nuk in my back yard.

Other than that, on the same day I went to pick up the Moore Haven bees, a swarm moved into a bait box I have set up at my son's house. I have 3 other locations with bait boxes, and this is only the beginning of swarm season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.