Default Baffled from bee tree

Recently got called out to a local guys house that had cutten a tree down for firewood unknown to him that the red oak was home to a hive of bees. I had gotten called a few days after he had fallen the tree and went out and checked out the situation, seen that i was going to need all of my cut out supplies, only to return the next day to do the cut out to find that they had swarmed from there home in the tree onto a tree about 40 ft up into the tree a few feet away from the original hive tree. I had decided that the only way to possibly retrieve these bees was to place a 10 frame deep along with top board and bottom board with wax foundation frames and a couple of old drawn out brood frames and lemongrass oil added also for extra security, from everyone else's experiances what are the odds of these bees hiving thereselves into my hive that i placed on top of the old bee tree that had fallen. also i forgot to mention that when the tree had fallen it destroyed all of the hive and comb and honey inside there previous home. i have left the site for approx five days now going to go check in a few days and see what the results are. any other tips or ideas for me on this complex situatiuon. Thanks Bobby!

Default Re: Baffled from bee tree

My guess is, Not a very good chance they will go into the box on their own. If you could have been able to knock a significant number of bees down onto the ground near your catch hive, you would have had a better chance. Even if you don't get the queen down, often, if a significant number of bees on the ground, march into the hive, it then draws the others to the catch box. Too often when the cluster is left alone they fly off, ignoring a catcher box nearby.

There are several ways to knock down some bees from a high swarm. High pressure water hose. Cast a fishing lure with no hooks on it. Throw a football at it, etc. (I don't recommend shooting at it) HA!! Just try to get a lot of bees to fall to the ground. Of course lots of them will fly back to the queen, but, a good number may very well march into your catcher box, and that will draw others to your box. If you get a good number to fall, wet them with a spray or water hose so they cannot fly back up to the cluster. A comb of brood in your catcher box will also help.

Let us know what you find. Good Luck. Hopefully they "WILL" move into your box.

cchoganjr

The queen was killed or not. The brood is now past QC age. Sounds to me they are doing the equivalent or returning to the location of a moved hive. Try adding some brood to your bait hive, if the queen is dead that should help.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Hopefully all goes well fingers crossed:/

Michael Bush, what are your thoughts.

Always wanted to try a super soaker, never had the chance. they will do about 30 ft straight up.

Have you ever done the fishing pole method?

Not much swarming here. Two, 5 ft off the ground last year, 1, 40 years or so ago on the cross bar and the transformer of a power pole, left that one alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Always wanted to try a super soaker,
    Pressure washer works better.

cchoganjr

[W]]hat are the odds of these bees hiving thereselves into my hive that i placed on top of the old bee tree that had fallen."
    The liklihood of the bees being in the hive is very low.
    Aren't they supposed to be the ones feeding me.

The swarm will either be gone or they will be in your hive set up. I am hoping that they will be in the hive... but the odds are against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    The swarm will either be gone or they will be in your hive set up.
    Mr Beeman... Not necessarily. There is one more possibility, They may still be on the limb. ( HEE!!, HEE!! (Joke, Joke).

I agree with you. Odds are against it.

cchoganjr