Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuc advise

Default Re: Nuc advise

Can you please be a little more succinct, Michael?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

So you are telling me the bees don't work any harder at keeping worm when there are less bees. My experience with a dink hive going through winter says that you are right but it doesn't compute. Interesting...
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Rearing brood takes more energy. Honey, nectar, and sugar are energy sources for bees. It is their carbohydrate in effect.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    So you are telling me the bees don't work any harder at keeping worm when there are less bees. My experience with a dink hive going through winter says that you are right but it doesn't compute. Interesting...
    Doesn't compute? A colony of bees, no matter the configuration or size, consumes less stores keeping warm in winter, than it consumes raising brood before any nectar flows.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Rearing brood takes more energy. Honey, nectar, and sugar are energy sources for bees. It is their carbohydrate in effect.
    I know this is not the same but 10 people in a room and the room has to be air conditioned (take out heat) one person in the room and the room needs to be heated. At some point, I don't know where that is, there has to be enough bees in a hive to keep warm or they will burn themselves out trying to stay warm. That has to be the reason why some nucs make it in the north and some don't.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

That's why it has to do with population vs cavity size. A nuc size colony will winter fine in a nuc size cavity. Maybe not so well in a double deep with a super on top. So it is the same.

"No, it isn't."
    Honey is good for the bees' hay fever.
    Inscrutable little bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    That's why it has to do with population vs cavity size. A nuc size colony will winter fine in a nuc size cavity. Maybe not so well in a double deep with a super on top. So it is the same.
    Mr. Palmer are you saying then it is better to try to stay five over five? Not try to be five over five over five?

Not necessarily. If they need another story, give it to them.

Thank you. Planning on a quick look tomorrow in top box, this will determine if I add a box. If they do not draw it out, I will just take it off. Just hope they will over winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I would leave them in their nuc box configuration. If you add a third story, will they draw out the comb? I wonder. Perhaps you should allow them to finish what they have, and feed them as necessary next month.
    are you suggesting to winter four over four over four?

Why not if they need it.

I have read that a frame of bees will cover 3 frames once emerged. In my opinion that is a but optimistic. and consider it more like 2. As I read it you have 8 frames of brood Assuming there are 80 actual brood that will give you an actual 7 complete frames of brood which will then translate to 14 additional frames of bees in three weeks tops.

I woudl then expect to start seeing the transition of this colony from brood rearing to storage for winter. In my experience they do not continue this fast increase. But brood production will come into balance and they will start storing honey.

I woudl also say they need additional space to store that honey. either way give them ten frames boxes or add another 5 frame. All that brood will not remain brood it will start getting used to store nectar. Another 5 frame on top sounds about right to me. If they manage to fill that also the transition to two 10 frames will be easier on them.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Pyro my 3 medium box nuc is pretty much the same as MPs 2 box deep in area, except mine have 3 more med frames than his. Remember he has some crazy cold winters, they cluster longer, feeding only to keep warm. Also he winters them side by side (sharing heat) so that it is like one large cluster verses two smaller ones that stand alone, as mine do. They huddle up against the divider. So his 4 frame boxes are appropriate . Our winters are mild compared to Vt. we get 40 , 50 and 60 degree days alot spread out during our winter,they break cluster way more than his do to feed.. 5 over 5 deeps will work for you , just keep an eye on them in Feb and have some kind of supplemental feed on hand. Last year I O/W`ed 2 mini mating nucs 5 over 5 half frames just to see what happens, they both made it, and we had a bad winter (for our area) . I did have to mnt camp them but the cold didn`t kill em.........Pete