Default Reading about bees in North Carolina

Reading, because I don't have any bees yet, and trying to decide if I really want to take this plunge.

My brother keeps a few hives in IL. I'm not sure if that, or reading about CCD, is what got me thinking about doing this, but I know from trying to lift one of his medium supers, that the Lang boxes will be too much for my bad back. So after more reading, I looked on Craigslist and there was a top bar hive for sale. Nicely made, but too small, from what I've read since. We'll see, it's now in my garage, and I've made some new bars with wedge guides for it already :/ Anyway, I guess I'll probably be hanging out over in the top bar area.

Looking forward to learning from you folks!

Dave

Default Re: Reading about bees in North Carolina

Welcome to Beesource!

Since you haven't put any bees in that TBH yet, you could consider using a horizontal hive sized to accept Lang frames. Here is an example:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm

One benefit is that standard frames fit, which means you can trade (or buy) frames from other beekeepers relatively easily. Also, horizontal hives can accept a standard super if you want to do that. You always have the option of removing frames one at a time from those supers.

Please note that I'm not trying to talk you out of a TBH - I started with TBHs and still have one, along with more standard Langs, but a horizontal hive makes it easier to trade resources.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Thanks!

Yeah, I've thought about just building something more standard, since this one is small (12.5" wide, 9.5" deep, 34" long, inside dimensions. Top bars 14.5" end to end. I'm afraid it will be outgrown too quickly.

It's a nice TBH, with a glass window. Shame not to use it. Maybe I'll build another like you mention, then let this one spill over into it. Have some thinking to do.
    Last edited by EarlyBird; 08-16-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Typo

Welcome Dave!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome from NE Kansas Dave!

Welcome to Beesource! My neighbor has Langs, which are cool, but you're right -- they're heavy. Horizontal Langs are definitely an option that I've considered switching to, but I do love my TBHs.