Default Usefulness of Phosphorescent Paint in a Commercial operation.

Back working on one of my wild a$$ed hair brain ideas that I have kicked around for a long time but never pushed farther than a few neurons slowly crossing paths in my head...

All our pallets are what a would call "one way" pallets. Every entrance ( landing boards) face the same direction. Not going into the logic or benefits of that right now....

After a few years of running them (10 or so) I decided that that it would be a good idea to paint the ends of the stringers on the "open" side a vibrant color ( yellow) so any dummy could easily lay out pallets facing east or south when laid out splits... easy on the mind and the eyes.

Once we had enough of them in the rotation I figured out the paint was very useful in loading trucks where the pallets were more easily placed all "in" or all "out" as desired.

A few years back it came to me that having all the strips and stringer ends painted phosphorescent might be useful in not only determining the "side" of the pallet but also useful on in grabbing them of the ground or loading when the bees were hot and we loaded "lights out."

Not sure if this be useful or not and am even more perplexed as to what the reaction of the bees will bee to the "light" coming off of the front of the pallet.

Anyone been down this road? Any hypothesis as to how the bees might react? ( Might be that the spectrum will be out of their visual range and won't matter)

Default Re: Usefulness of Phosphorescent Paint in a Commercial operation.

Paint a few pieces of Masonite to slide into the front of a few hives to try for a while.

This stuff doesn't require light exposure to glow.

http://www.radioactivethings.com/rad...paint-and.html

There won't be much if any reaction at all. There's a difference in the light rays given off which the bees will have very little interest in. Green works the best don't know where to get it anymore it's been a couple of years since I've bought any.

It must be pretty safe between your ears..... My thoughts:

Paint in UV activated phosphorescent paint, like the druggies would paint on their ceiling in the dorm room. It also showed up n a movie about car thieves, Gone in 60 seconds? Then put UV headlights on your loader. I do not know how bees would react.

OR.... Come by me and we set you up with IR head lights and military IR goggles. You can even judge the colony strength without opening a box. I know bees can not see IR.

See, it ain't safe between my ears.

Crazy (for good reason) Roland

Roland you'd need a strobe light to go with it to get the full affect!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    It must be pretty safe between your ears..... My thoughts:

Paint in UV activated phosphorescent paint, like the druggies would paint on their ceiling in the dorm room. It also showed up n a movie about car thieves, Gone in 60 seconds? Then put UV headlights on your loader. I do not know how bees would react.

OR.... Come by me and we set you up with IR head lights and military IR goggles. You can even judge the colony strength without opening a box. I know bees can not see IR.

See, it ain't safe between my ears.

Crazy (for good reason) Roland
    Hmmmmmm........there is competition out there................G.......

Competition?, Nahh.... We'll just work together.....

Crazy Roland

P.S. I ain't THAT crazy, did not suggest ANYTHING with lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Competition?, Nahh.... We'll just work together.....

Crazy Roland

P.S. I ain't THAT crazy, did not suggest ANYTHING with lasers.
    G