Default Varrox OA Vaporizer results

Just thought I would share the results I had using the Varrox OA Vaporizer. I did a 3 day natural mite fall count on 3 of my hives and then treated once with vaporizer and did another count 24hrs after treatment. Here are my results.

Day1 Day2 Day3 24hrs. after one treatment

Hive1 33 20 16 stop counting after 327

Hive2 73 50 51 stop counting after 342

Hive3 75 91 69 Stop counting after 300

Being that there is still brood in my hives I plan on treating these hives 2 more times in the next 2 weeks. I will continue to monitor the mite fall but it appears to me the OA treatment is a good one. Lots of dead mites makes me happy!

Default Re: Varrox OA Vaporizer results

Looks like you thinned the mites. I've read that the peak mite drop occurs after 72 hours post treatment. Are you planning to count again at that time?
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

yeah I plan on counting every 24hrs for 3 days after the treatment. I did not know that peak mite drop was 72hrs post treatment that is encouraging to hear, hope to have a varroa mite massacre in the beeyard.

Mountain Bee

I have a Varroa Mite Count Calculator I have borrowed from the UK. I have used your Hive #2 as base line for average but I have set the thresh hold at 1000 mites per hive

Here is your results Looks like what you doing is on the right track I would check the mite count again and see if the numbers are coming down If they are you would if the treatment is working I had high mite count in the past spring 3 day average of 50 treated with formic acid of 50% for 7 day got them all no mite count 3-anf 7 days later but lots during treatment

Thanks
    Dale

Varroa Calculator Results

The Varroa Mite Varroa Calculator

You selected Natural Mite Drop
    174 Mites detected over 3 days
    Month: August,
    Season: Medium,
    Drone Brood level: Low

Average Daily Mite Fall = 58.0 varroa mites

The number of days over which you collected/counted mites is less than seven. This might give a poor estimate of mite numbers, so the predictions must be treated with caution.

Estimated number of adult varroa mites in the colony = 2300
    Treatment is recommended as soon as practically possible.

Important Note:
    Remember - the situation can change rapidly, especially if mite (re)invasion occurs. You should carry on monitoring regularly.

The model predicts when the varroa numbers are likely to reach a critical level that requires treatment. The above is based on an estimate of how long it is likely to take before the varroa mite population reaches 1000 - a level where treatment is recommended to avoid varroa causing significant adverse effects on the colony. We have intentionally set the threshold level of 1000 mites to give a cautious approach, bearing in mind that monitoring methods are not always accurate. The results can depend on many factors including the size of the colony, so a range may be shown above. However, for various reasons, a small colony may well be more susceptible to a given level of varroa mites than a large colony. Where a range is given, a cautious approach would be to treat within the shorter time period. If the model predicts that treatment is required in mid-winter, it would normally be prudent to treat in the Autumn to avoid disturbing the bees in mid-winter. It should be remembered that the above predictions are based on sampling and estimates, so the recommendation is a guidance to help the beekeeper make a decision. If the beekeeper has good evidence that the mite level is higher than the estimate, and/or colony damage from varroa mites is already evident (eg deformed bees), the beekeeper should not delay treatment unnecessarily

Quote Originally Posted by wdale View Post
    Mountain Bee

I have a Varroa Mite Count Calculator I have borrowed from the UK.......
    Would you care to enlighten us about that calculator?
    LeeB

Lburou

Here is the link try it out let me know if it works if not we can get another way

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/bee...Calculator.cfm

Dale

Thank you Dale
    LeeB

Hi Wdale I checked the calculator. For us here in NZ I guess we would fill in the month 6 months later than the stated month.

Also I see the method is natural mite drop not induced mite drop so have your calculations factored in that Mountain Bee use oxalic vapour?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

The 3 day mite count is natural mite drop count prior to administering treatment,the 300+ number is a 24hr count after 1 OA treatment.

Hi guys I would do sugar roll or alcohol washes on your nurse bees, I have just finished treatment, that's 3 times a week apart and a week later I did mite checks on nurse bees on some random hives and had high mite counts so am stating flash formic acid treatments.
    Johno

Old timer
    Yes I would use 6month date setting I"m guessing the UK people never thought of the date shifting and wintering months
    The author of this program uses natural drop on to sticky board or drone cell load versus hive drone load for 7 days. I guess at my drone load 2-5%? I use 24 hrs and put in 1 day.
    I only use this program to see what my Mite Load is before treatment. once treatment is over I guess one take another count? The UK uses a 1000 mite load I think based on a 7 day count (their thresh hold?). I'm sure the program calc are around 7 days too.

Dale

johno
    The program did not have this type assessment build into the program but I can't see why someone could rewrite the program that includes the different types of methods being used.
    What % of formic acid are you using? 35 -40 ml for 2 brood boxes 10 frames each?
    Dale

Dale I have done 3 treatments with OA vapour then a sugar roll mite count expecting the counts to be low, but they were not so have started treating with FA 50% at about 5 mils per frame onto an Amrine and Noel fume board
    Johno

Johno
    the types of fume board you are using should work well as per studies done on them Did you close up or reduce the hive opening at bottom? Formic Acid fumes are heaver than air
    Dale

Johno
    I would be very interested in your mite counts before and after the OA treatments. If you have any records please share.

Oh thanks for the clarification guys, I misunderstood the opening post.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Mountain Bee, I knew my bees had mites so I just treated and started doing checks after treatment to make sure that the count would be low. Dale the fume boards work fine but as I have only 2 of them I can only do 2 hives per day. With OA I can do the 28 home hives in 1 1/2 hours. that is the reason I was using OA
    Johno