Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Solano, California, USA
    Posts
    1,351

    Default Here we go again.... Just a little early

    Not sure many of you follow the beekeeping news link:

    http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...60dccb4f9.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    NE Calif.
    Posts
    2,300

    Default Re: Here we go again.... Just a little early

    The article is not real clear on exactly what was stolen. But sounds like the hives were gutted of frames and the empty boxes left. ??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cookeville, TN, USA
    Posts
    4,059

    Default Re: Here we go again.... Just a little early

    That is bazaar. Why would someone steal the frames and leave the hives?
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Solano, California, USA
    Posts
    1,351

    Default Re: Here we go again.... Just a little early

    I read it the same way. Either way it still a shame.

    If they haven't already an investment in the purchase and use of a good branding iron would be a great start for these kids.

    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................

    Although we have yet to have a massive break in like this I did come across a few "holes" where field hands decided to "help themselves" to a frame or two while the bees were in the sunflowers this summer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Solano, California, USA
    Posts
    1,351

    Default Re: Here we go again.... Just a little early

    Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    That is bazaar. Why would someone steal the frames and leave the hives?
    Fill dead-outs a little less conspicuously ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Fort Gay, WV, USA
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Here we go again.... Just a little early

    If i remember correctly back in the spring there was an article about a bunch of hives stolen out of the almonds. Those that stole the hives took them to a "chop shop" where they were removing the brands but also putting the frames and bees into already unbranded equipment to resell.. I'd say that in this case they had the woodenware to put the frames into already and wanted to turn an easy buck without arousing too much thought of why those boxes of bees dissappeared.. Gave them more time to get away with it..
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Stone County Ar. USA
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: Here we go again.... Just a little early

    Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Not sure many of you follow the beekeeping news link:

    http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...60dccb4f9.html

    Small world , I grew up with those boys' Grandpa . In Deweyville ...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cumberland Va.
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: Here we go again.... Just a little early

    Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    If i remember correctly back in the spring there was an article about a bunch of hives stolen out of the almonds. Those that stole the hives took them to a "chop shop" where they were removing the brands but also putting the frames and bees into already unbranded equipment to resell.. I'd say that in this case they had the woodenware to put the frames into already and wanted to turn an easy buck without arousing too much thought of why those boxes of bees dissappeared.. Gave them more time to get away with it..
    X2. with the boxes standing they had a getaway. G

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,825

    Default Re: Here we go again.... Just a little early

    Smart leaving the boxes which are what people typically track.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads