Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: To make it real

Default Re: To make it real

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    You return extracted supers back to the hives and give equally many boxes on each hive?
    Essentially. I try to keep a minimum of five deeps (or seven mediums) on each hive at all times. It's a truly unlimited broodnest. Eventually some hives will excel and they will get more boxes. But after harvest the empty comb goes back on the hives more or less evenly. No storing comb, no moth problems, no chemicals to stop moth problems.

Have you selected the best 12 hives, in the picture, to make a crop in some flower field, given them all max number of boxes, bring them to home yard after harvesting?
    There are 14 in the picture, but that is the home yard for now. I just moved and have not gotten everything to the optimal state. Normally I'd have ~24 hives and some nucs as well, but I slimmed down so I could move them 800+ miles (1300 km). But that is more or less the normal configuration.

Sure you donīt leave them 8 boxes high in the winter storms in the middle of a field?
    Yes, I do. I have never had one blown over in up to 40 mph (65 kph) winds. However, the winds may be higher here so I'm going to build a wind blocking fence.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

>the winds may be higher here so I'm going to build a wind blocking fence.

Two issues with where you are now: winds will gust to 65 mph sometimes. The wind is relentless. I thought it was relentless in Nebraska, but after living in Laramie, I realize I didn't know what relentless was... If you have brand new boxes with no propolis between them yet, you need a concrete block on top to keep the wind from gradually moving the boxes...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

They all have pretty decent blocks on top. And I'm not leaving huge open entrances on them this year. I'm thinking of putting a piece of plywood up as a snow fence, block the worst of the wind.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

A poorly constructed wind fence can be worse then nothing. I've once had a wide piece of metal sheet blowing just above my had .
    Dfa (Humid continental warm summer climate)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234