Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hopguard II and Hive Kills

Ok, the Manufacturer just called me and we had a nice conversation, but I don't entirely agree with her. Here are the highlights of what she said (and forgive me if my recall isn't so good).

1) She believes it was an overheating issue and not a problem with the HGII. Her reasoning is that it is a contact miticide and as a result it would not be likely to kill an entire hive in the fashion mine were.

2) In the development stages, she said that she personally treated over 250 hives of a commercial beekeeper and never saw any hive kills. And that many of the larger commercial guys, even one near me use it and are pleased with it. She mentioned that with HGII that there was good mite knock down with one two week application and subsequent good overwintering success.

3) With HG/HGII there is always some incidental bee/brood killed around the strips. The strips being saturated with the product, those bees that contact it when it is very wet will be overcome. Queens can also have the same happen to them if you are unlucky enough to apply the strip where she is located. This makes sense and is what I saw surrounding the strips themselves.

So in the end this what I believe happened (and BTW, I told her this)...I believe it was overheating that did these hives in. But I also believe it was the presence of HGII in those hives that caused the overheating situation to develop. HG/HGII is not as "bee friendly" as it is advertised to be. Obviously, my bees did not like it in the hive, and its presence alone caused them to exit the hive or in some way become unable to perform hive cooling duties.

So to those who are thinking of using it, what I would suggest would be to open the entrance full on, open the SBB, or as previously suggested, in some way crack the hive open a little (taking care not to incite a robbing situation) for extra ventilation. I however, with my losses will never use the stuff again and will be tossing what I have left.

I think you're pretty much on the right track. As Jim Lyon mentioned, the over-heating probably did them in. Bees died from the initial fresh dose of HGII and appears to have blocked the entrance...then it was a ticking clock till the rest of the ones trapped were dead.

Ed

ETA: This is making me revisit the idea of top entrances...in this day and time a slight pesticide kill could happen to any of us and could block the lower entrance with dead bees.

Ive used Hopguard and still do.

But I have not tried HG2 yet. When I get it, I'll use with caution. Sorry for the loss

I am curious....is there a recommended temperature range for application?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I am curious....is there a recommended temperature range for application?
    I did not ask her that question, but should have. Don't recall reading any temperature range restrictions on the original package instructions.

Here is a copy of the Hopguard II label instructions:
    http://www.michiganbees.org/wp-conte...rdII-label.pdf

I didn't find anything there regarding temperature.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hi CircleBee,
    I used hopguard I last year with pretty good results. This summer, I purchased hopguard II from Mann Lake for some of the smaller hives. I will wait and hear what you have to say about the lot number.

I put Hopguard 2 in several hives over a week ago. They are all strong 3 story hives with 12" wide x 1/2" high lower entrances. So far no ill effects and surprisingly no excessive bearding when compared to neighboring untreated hives. Highs were in the upper 80's. My first impressions is that they don't seem as messy or nasty smelling as the original Hopguard.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I treated 53 nucs with Hopguard II at the begining of August. I didn't have a single queen or hive issue. The definitly were not as messy as the original I think do to the "corragated" aspect of the new strips. The mylar backing kept the bees from discarding them so fast. They smelled the same to me.
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Checked some hives today that had Hopguard 2 put in about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Really pleased with the results. Bees showed no adverse effects, queens are still laying and an approximate 400 bee ether roll gathered from 3 treated hives showed 3 mites.
    http://s470.photobucket.com/user/jim...a3cc6.jpg.html
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Checked some hives today that had Hopguard 2 put in about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Really pleased with the results. Bees showed no adverse effects, queens are still laying and an approximate 400 bee ether roll gathered from 3 treated hives showed 3 mites.
    http://s470.photobucket.com/user/jim...a3cc6.jpg.html
    Jim, are you aware if ML has a quantity discount for HG2? I'd like to try some next year although it is a bit pricey. Thanks for the update.

Aaron

The 100+ package pricing (shipping included) I got was $34.80 per package of 24 strips. We are using the recommended 2 strips under the excluder in our excluded singles. 2 strips per each 10 frames of bees is recommended meaning a populous double would require 4 strips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12