Thread: Podcast Apps

Default Podcast Apps

For several years now it has been my practice to listen to podcasts when I am working alone - on my cell phone for the last 2-3 years.

Anyway, a year or so ago Apple made some changes that made their native software almost unusable for the way I like to listen - listen continuously to a playlist of previously downloaded (over wi-fi, not cell data) podcasts. Sounds basic, but not only did Apple make it so that their app wouldn't do that, but the changes also made so that most other third party apps could not do that basic functionality. "User friendly" my big old... but I digress.

After trying several apps I finally found one that actually works, and as a bonus is not too difficult to figure out. At least it isn't after having test driven 8-10 others. Your experience may differ of course.

The App is ICatcher for Iphone and is well worth the $2.99 price tag.

I don't know how many Beesource users listen to podcasts, but I thought I would pass this along in case it can save anyone the frustration that I have experienced courtesy of one of the poorest applications ever made - Thanks Apple!

In case anyone doesn't know - podcasts are recurring audio recordings which you can download and listen to - news, commentary, humor, literature, history, etc, even beekeeping. The App automatically downloads the podcasts which you have subscribed to (usually for free) and deletes the files after you finish listening to them. You should check it out if you have not already.
    Last edited by David LaFerney; 08-07-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Default Re: Podcast Apps

I'm like you as well. I love podcasts and listen at work. I have used I catcher and have used downcast and really like that one as well. Not a whole lot of beekeeping podcasts but a few.

I gave downcast a good solid try, but it never would work right for me - If I remember correctly downloads would always time out with it and I would end up with nothing to listen to.

As long as ICatcher is running anytime a wifi network becomes available it will check for new episodes and grab them. It does have to be running for it to work though - so whenever I plug in to recharge I try to remember to turn it on. If I am listening during the day and a network becomes available every thing gets updated. It's pretty cool, even when you could use the apple music app for podcasts (and it actually worked before they pushed out the broken apple podcast app) it would not update unless you sync.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

It does look like the new apple podcast app is much better than it used to be guys.

Have you seen the new version, from what I understand the new version is a built into the new version of IOS.

I use BeyondPod on my Androids phone, which can play all the downloaded ones as a huge playlist. This is great for long car trips.
    Gary Fawcett
    We blog and Podcast about beekeeping at http://kiwimana.co.nz