Default what to do with apples from my apple tree?

I was just reading and saw pictures of bees collecting off a cut up or rotting apple. It got me thinking I have a crab apple tree in my yard I normally collect and dump out back for the deer would it be better to cut in half and throw them near my hives? By doing that could I cause a robbing situation though by attracting unknown bees?

Default Re: what to do with apples from my apple tree?

as long as you dump them within 2 miles of the hives the bees will find them.
    David

well the tree is only about 100 yards from the hive so maybe just leaving the cut up apples on a picnic table would work im thinking

last year we had a big watermellon patch (for us at least) and had about 20 mellons that did not get picked in time so i threw some and shot some others and the next day the bees were covering them i would like to think that i just grow extra sweet mellons but might do it to all good luck

before they drop... Crab apple jelly, crab apple cider, apple cider, apple wine, apple jelly, apple butter, apple melomel......

You will probably end up with alot of yellow jackets if you try to feed them to the bees.

Good point on the yellow jackets JD! Yellow jackets can be quite problematic for the bees this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    before they drop... Crab apple jelly, crab apple cider, apple cider, apple wine, apple jelly, apple butter, apple melomel......
    apple jack

I like to shoot humble bee with a 22 with rat shot. It will grow a pattern about the size of a dime.

Seriously, this what you like to do? Not that your post has anything to do with this thread.

Is it a cry for help? Just wondering...

Wayne
    Last edited by waynesgarden; 08-06-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Uh, why wouldn't you just leave the apples on the ground and let the deer find them themselves? And, most likely, most of those "bees" you see on rotting apples are yellow jacket wasps, not bees.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

> It got me thinking I have a crab apple tree in my yard I normally collect and dump out back for the deer would it be better to cut in half and throw them near my hives?

The bees only get interested in rotting fruit if there is a dearth. The bees will fly 2 miles to get to a nectar source in a dearth. Leave them alone. Do whatever you want. Feed them to the deer. It will make no difference. I would not cut them in half and put them near the hives. It will only attract yellow jackets and won't really do much for the bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>before they drop... Crab apple jelly, crab apple cider, apple cider, apple wine, apple jelly, apple butter, apple melomel......

And dont forget warm apple pie with icecream

You're thinking about cutting up a hundred thousand CRAB apples?

What is wrong with some of you people?

I'd have no say it in. The Master Gardener I married would compost the crabapples. The bees do supposedly like leach ("tea") coming from compost piles.

We offered our bees a dish of watermelon juice a few weeks back and had zero takers for it. The sugar concentration is probably pathetically low for them. I thought maybe they might like some minerals in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    You're thinking about cutting up a hundred thousand CRAB apples?

What is wrong with some of you people?
    In my experience deer prefer their fruits and vegtables cubed as opposed to sliced. Here is a nice cuber you can get on Amazon for only $150: http://www.amazon.com/Gefu-Cubico-Cu.../dp/B00008WV4A

Just make some apple cider vinagar....

You always dispose of your dropped fruit to keep the bugs that are eating it down. Less sprays, better apples better bees the following year. When the apples hit the ground I till a row between the garden and compost them under a few inches of dirt. No need to feed the yellow jackets and apple maggots.
    Before they hit the ground however I built a apple scratter and press. Trash from this goes into the soil same as the previous.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    You always dispose of your dropped fruit to keep the bugs that are eating it down. Less sprays, better apples better bees the following year. When the apples hit the ground I till a row between the garden and compost them under a few inches of dirt. No need to feed the yellow jackets and apple maggots.
    Before they hit the ground however I built a apple scratter and press. Trash from this goes into the soil same as the previous.
    I don't spray the apple tree with anything like I said I just feed the deer with it

this reminds me of one time when i was a kid my mom noticed a crab apple tree on an empty lot and it was covered in red large crab apples, she decided she was going to make candied crab apples canned in syrup with spices for use in family dinners and stuffing birds etc. we picked buckets and buckets of these crab apples, prepped and washed thousands of crab apples, canned about 100 quarts of them in syrup, opened one up to test them out and every single apple in the jar was full of worms coming out hanging half out like a cartoon worm and apple.
    we ended up giving them to a friend for his pigs all 100 quarts to the pigs.