Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gotta vent about customers' expectations of charges

So APPARENTLY, multitudes of people have gotten some sort of memo that these bees are "worth something", and that honey is "worth something".

They somehow think they are doing you a favor by GIVING you these bees - that they somehow don't need to pay anything for you to suit-up (and sweat butt off), spend gas money, tear down walls and repair them, the time spent, the angry bees coming at you while laying on your back under a mobile home, etc, and so-forth. And - oh yes - often times I have to go back to these places to retrieve the hive at night to make sure all the bees follow the queen inside. The gas and time start racking up !!!!!

For one thing, those bees have to be taken somewhere and given time to repair their own colony before you can ever think about selling them to someone, and that's IF they don't get stricken by small hive beetles while in a semi-weak stage. The honey isn't worth that much and has to be processed.

Today I told this lady I was coming back in the morning to get the SECOND colony under her mobile home that I am doing for $150.00. She had already twisted my arm to do it for that cheap when the original agreement was just for one colony (which I've already done and haven't gotten paid). So when I reminded her today that she'll be owing a measly $150.00, she chimes in with some sort of SCHPIEL about how bees and honey are "worth something", and that she had "thought about it" because she's had time to (she's retired). I was about to tell her to keep the money AND the 2nd set of bees under her home when she reluctantly agreed to pay me when I'm done with the 2nd colony tomorrow.

But often times I'll warn people up front that it could be upwards of 2-to-3-to-4-to-5 hundred dollars - DEPENDING on the circumstances. Most people, when you tell them that, do not want to use your services, and that's fine by me. This is only a hobby for me right now.
    www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

Default Re: Gotta vent about customers' expectations of charges

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post

So APPARENTLY, multitudes of people have gotten some sort of memo that these bees are "worth something", and that honey is "worth something".

They somehow think they are doing you a favor by GIVING you these bees - that they somehow don't need to pay anything for you to suit-up (and sweat butt off), spend gas money, tear down walls and repair them, the time spent, the angry bees coming at you while laying on your back under a mobile home, etc, and so-forth. And - oh yes - often times I have to go back to these places to retrieve the hive at night to make sure all the bees follow the queen inside. The gas and time start racking up !!!!!

For one thing, those bees have to be taken somewhere and given time to repair their own colony before you can ever think about selling them to someone, and that's IF they don't get stricken by small hive beetles while in a semi-weak stage. The honey isn't worth that much and has to be processed.

Today I told this lady I was coming back in the morning to get the SECOND colony under her mobile home that I am doing for $150.00. She had already twisted my arm to do it for that cheap when the original agreement was just for one colony (which I've already done and haven't gotten paid). So when I reminded her today that she'll be owing a measly $150.00, she chimes in with some sort of SCHPIEL about how bees and honey are "worth something", and that she had "thought about it" because she's had time to (she's retired). I was about to tell her to keep the money AND the 2nd set of bees under her home when she reluctantly agreed to pay me when I'm done with the 2nd colony tomorrow.

But often times I'll warn people up front that it could be upwards of 2-to-3-to-4-to-5 hundred dollars - DEPENDING on the circumstances. Most people, when you tell them that, do not want to use your services, and that's fine by me. This is only a hobby for me right now.
    Good luck with that......shoulda went with half now...half when finished.

Careful if she didn't honor your original agreement! She should be tickled pink to get the second done for free. Rare that it's easy, rare that it's not hot and uncomfortable, rare the people that understand what difficult dangerous work you do for them, rare they have the guts to do it themselves. It is very rewarding when you do a removal for someone that understands what it takes to do this kind of work! You're a good man for not bailing on her

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Good luck with that......shoulda went with half now...half when finished.
    Well, she's 97 (yeah, so sue me....hey, I gave her a discount - two-for-one). I figure she's good on her word. But she (as most other people) have no clue what's involved with what we all do here.

I think I'm going to write up some sort of "Pricing Justification" notice at top of my web page.....but I'll make it somewhat nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    Careful if she didn't honor your original agreement! She should be tickled pink to get the second done for free. Rare that it's easy, rare that it's not hot and uncomfortable, rare the people that understand what difficult dangerous work you do for them, rare they have the guts to do it themselves. It is very rewarding when you do a removal for someone that understands what it takes to do this kind of work! You're a good man for not bailing on her
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you feel my (our) pain.

i tell everyone that calls for a cut out when they call "i do not do this for free if you want someone to do it for free i will try to help you find someone who will but thee only people who probly do it for free is someone who has neverdone one before" i did my first one for free and half way through i couldent stop thinking what was i thinking this is like actual work if i would put this time into my bees i could just make more from my own stock . i am a cheap as# and could not see paying someone 4 500 dollars i charge 150 for the 3 hours then if its and easy job (no ladders involved) 25 and hour after that or if its a tuffer spot 50 an hour after the first 3 hours well if she does not pay you can always return the bees by dumping them at her door haha jk

Ma'am you and your pet bees have a nice day!

You know, I'm not even so much worried about the money in this particular situation. I'm just concerned about the expectancy of most potential customers that we somehow work for free.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeejohn View Post
    i did my first one for free and half way through i couldent stop thinking what was i thinking this is like actual work if i would put this time into my bees i could just make more from my own stock .
    Amen to that! However, I'm glad I know how to do it now. Beekeepers are needed from time to time, and when I say needed, I mean the times when folks are tickled pink to pay a few hundred dollars for you to get them out. It's a good skill to have, and if done right, you become a part of the local lore. But yeah, I'd much rather make splits from my own stock!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Unfortunately we have had a rash of "free bee removal" ads in craigslist over the last year or two. This adds to the belief that they are "doing us a favor".

That is the very reason that I don't do cutout it is not worth all the time and trouble

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post

You know, I'm not even so much worried about the money in this particular situation. I'm just concerned about the expectancy of most potential customers that we somehow work for free.

Spell your expectations out in clear and simple language, simple sentences and not very many of them. Maybe Bullet Points would be best. Then have them sign a contract and pay half up front and the rest upon completion.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

i enjoy doing themdont get me wrong but not enough fun to do them for free have one coming up on saturday this will be the third cut out of the year and possibly will have another one coming up on the other side of the house

Two things I tell a reluctant customer.
    1. The good are not cheap and the cheap are not good.
    2. Would you be willing to accept working for 4-5 hours and not get paid?

Nine times out of ten they looked into paying an exterminator to do "the deed". So at one point they were willing to pay someone to rid them of their problem.

>...thee only people who probly do it for free is someone who has neverdone one before

That is the truth. Once they have they will realize how much work it is.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by pndwind View Post
    Unfortunately we have had a rash of "free bee removal" ads in craigslist over the last year or two. This adds to the belief that they are "doing us a favor".
    Same as in this area. A lot of Free Honeybee Removal and even some with "I will pay to remove unwanted honeybees" or "Will provide you a share in this years honey crop". I retrieved a lot of swarms this year but I passed on every cut out call I received.

people who probly do it for free is someone who has neverdone one before"
    OR, SOMEONE....

1. Who just wanted to help a 93 year old widow, who has no money, and needs the bees gone... OR

2. Someone who does the job to learn how to do it... OR

3. Someone who does the job to mentor a newbee, or a group to show them how to do cutouts.. OR

4..Someone who just wants to help a friend, who may, someday, help him shoe his horses... OR

5. A retiree, who enjoys working with bees, doesn't even want the bees, so, he gives the cutout bees to someone just starting in beekeeping.. OR

6. On and on and on. Life is not all about money. If cutouts are your business, it is about money. If bees are your passion, it is not.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 08-07-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Life is not all about money but unfortunately the power company will not accept payment in bees.
    No ma'am that's not my bee, all my bees are branded.

She's 97 and ain't afraid of you young whippersnappers !

if she does not pay you can always return the bees by dumping them at her door haha jk
    Or go down to the courthouse and put a lien on the home for services rendered but not paid. At the age of 97, probably dont have too long to wait for payment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast