Thread: Need help ASAP

Angry Need help ASAP

We moved an overly rowded nuc into a 10 frame hive. I uncle did the move and smashed quick a few and in general was not gentle. As such they were pissed and I got stung several times.

I placed the nuc ontop of the new hive that we moved the frames to.

He did not look for the queen and there is a large cluster of been hanging aroun the nuc as there is brood comb on the bottom of it. I am afraid the queen may still be there. What should I do?

Leave the nuc on top of the hive and hope the queen is in the hive? wait for the rest of the bees to move into the new hive?

Move the NUC to another location and loose the brood that are there and kill the bees that refuse to leave?

I am at a loss and definatly gun shy about this whole thing now. the bee's chased me about 50 yards before leaving me alone. if got any where near the hive they started buzzing me.

Regards
    GG

Default Re: Need help ASAP

Just shake all the bees off of the nuc box into the new hive box.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I think for you to set your mind at ease you're going to have to do an inspection of the 10 frame box. What you will be looking for are signs that a queen is present - eggs and/or capped brood (depending on when the transfer happened.) You can stop and close things up as soon as you either sight eggs/larvae or the queen. If you are not successful, gently brush the small cluster from the nuc box onto the frame tops of the 10 frame box. Best of luck and welcome to BeeSource.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Bees will cluster on the brood. It doesn't mean the queen is in the cluster. She could be, but not likely. Light the smoker and shake the cluster into the hive.

Suited up went back smoked the hive and the nuc and shook all the bees into the box. There is another deep box on top of the deep with 10 framed and a feeder inside the hive . took the nuc to the front of the house cleaned it up and put it in a bag. all the bee's are now either bearding the front of the hive. I seriouly cant believe there were that many bees in the nook.

The guy got them from put medium frames into a deep nuc, as such the bees build comb on the bottom of the medium frames in order to reclaim these I was going to put them into the deep brood box above and seporate them with a excluder to make sure all the brood get out then remove the frames and clean the comb off the bottom...from that point I have a bunch of honey'd frames I was going to give them a couple at a time to let them clean them up and move/use the honey as they need.

Sounds like you have too much space going now. I'm understanding that you have the 5 medium frames in the deep with extra brood beneath. I'm not sure if you used foundation or drawn comb to fill out the deep. In any event, bees do best in space that fits them.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Sounds like you have too much space going now. I'm understanding that you have the 5 medium frames in the deep with extra brood beneath. I'm not sure if you used foundation or drawn comb to fill out the deep. In any event, bees do best in space that fits them.
    I put the five frames from the nuc in the middle of a 10 frame deep box, with drawn frames(2&8) on each side and honey frames next to thosel(1&9) and a plastic base frame in the #10 spot. next the inner cover then an entrance style feeder with 1:1 sugar water partially covering the hole with a 10 frame deep hive box then another inner and outer cover.

We didn't know it at the start but 2 of the frames in the 5 frame deep nuc were the shorter honey super frames the bees drew out two separate combs on the bottom of those filled with brood and had drawn comb on three of the 4 sides of the nuc covered with brood. they were bursting at the seams.

They are now all mostly in the hive with a hundred or so bearding the entrance. we put a entrance blocker on the front leaving them a 3" opening to come and go. they seem a bit happier and I could go within 20 feet without beeing buzzed this evening.

thanks for the help and comments all please keep them coming. in a couple days I am going to go through the hive to do a hive inspection and I guess move the short frames with comb on them to the deep box with the feeder inside and put a queen exclude in so I can get the small frames out of the hive..... thoughts.