Default Super light honey. Normal?

Super light honey. Normal?

I extracted for the first time from a second year hive. This colony filled 3 mediums in a month and is working hard on the 4th. Anyways, the honey was very light in color. Basically white. No real amber color. The taste is quite sweet and very mild. And it tastes like honey. I have not fed these bees anything since sugar cakes last winter and early spring and the supers were just put on in early July.

Iíve heard of light almost clear honey but Iíve never seen it myself so I was surprised to see it. Nectar sources have been hard woods, clover and a lot of private and commercial gardens.

I guess I just want assurance this is normal honey. Thanks

Default Re: Super light honey. Normal?

If it smells like honey and tastes like honey, it must be honey. I would not sweat that question myself since you didn't feed them after you put the supers on.

I asked an old beekeep in our club what kind of honey he had, and he said "I don't know, the bees didn't tell me where they went."

Unless someone just left sugar water outside (doubtful) where bees could get to it, it is honey.

The very light honey seems to be common around the midwest this year. I have the same thing here. The taste is very good though in my opinion.

Our honey here has been very light also, and an excellent flavor. We had a great clover and basswood flow.

Very light has been typical around here also. I have heard of it being attributed to a fantastic black locust year.

Now that you all mention it we have black locust and basswood doing well too.