Default Crush & Strain Leavings: Feed to bees?

I retrieved honey and bees from a water meter yesterday and am crushing and straining the honey. I have a moderately weak hive I have been feeding 2:1 syrup. Should I put the leavings from the c & s on top of the inner cover for them to use?

The reason I ask is it seems I have read that you should not feed your bees honey that is not from their own hive. I have wondered why you should not do this, but the leavings are from another hive, though it is from the same general area.

Default Re: Crush & Strain Leavings: Feed to bees?

AFB spores can be honey from hives that you aren't certain doesn't have it. This is why it's not recommended to use honey from other hives.
    Dan Boylan, When it doubt "It's mites".

I would put it in a pan in the oven with the oven set at 160 F or so and melt it. Then let it harden. Remove the wax off the top and use the honey for baking.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Good point on AFB. The meter hive was probably 3 months old. Is there any way to tell if a hive has AFB without testing? Does it particularly attack young hives (or old ones)? I did not see anything untoward, but I am new, and it was a real mess.

I think I will follow your advice, Michael. My granddaughter wants the beeswax anyway.

>Is there any way to tell if a hive has AFB without testing?

It's easy enough to test. Holts milk test:
    The Hive and The Honey Bee. "Extensively Revised in 1975" edition. Page 623.

"The Holst milk test: The Holst milk test was designed to identify enzymes produced by B. larvae when speculating (Holst 1946). A scale or toothpick smear is swirled gently into a tube containing 3-4 milliliters of 1 per cent powdered skim milk and incubated at body temperature. If the spores of B. larvae are present, the cloudy suspension will clear in 10-20 minutes. Scales from EFB or sacbrood are negative in this test."

(Note: the name of B. larvae has now been changed by the taxonomists to Paenbacillus larvae. You'll find many references under both names.)

Discussion of Holts Milk Test:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...olts-Milk-Test

Beltsville Lab:
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=7473
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks, Michael

Now I understand why you are a BeeGuru.