Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Closed to the public?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    So is "your point" that after mulling it over you are very happy to just keep suffering the annoyances that you outlined?
    Sorry if you feel ridiculed; no intent there.
    Well, If I had a couple thousand barrels full of honey in the shop like Jimmy does, I could handle "suffering though some annoyances".
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Delete
    Last edited by jim lyon; 08-09-2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: no longer relevant
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

We run a very busy grain, cattle and honey farm. When the times are right, we always sit down for that important cup of coffee... when the times are not right, we respectfully communicate that and carry on with our business.

If you want to be seen as someone who is substantial, then making time for that chat is priceless.

Some of my best memories of time past has come from neighbours stopping on the road during harvest to chat... stopping by our cattle barn during calving for coffee, and stopping by the honey house during extraction. The point is, work is work is work is work. Settle down a bit, enjoy it
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    I agree with Harry on quite a few comments.
    I make time for folks, but don't allow drop in's. I'm extremely busy and hate to be interrupted..lose my momentum or small window of cool hours of the morning to get some work done. Most of my work is done at my residence..I am NOT a retail store open to the public.
    I think there is a proper balance and Jim is wanting to find it. I've gained more in life by opening myself up to the unannounced, unexpected, unplanned interruptions in life. There are people I know who project an air that says "I'm too busy, don't interrupt me". I don't, and when they aren't too busy, they won't find me. I've been busy working only to have a stranger come walking by and make a comment or ask a question. This happened earlier this year and I now have a new friend who lives just a few blocks away. For me, life is about relationships, not work. Work is necessary, but it doesn't define me.

Hope you can find a workable solution, Jim, so you can enjoy your work and remain approachable.
    Regards, Barry

Jim, even with all of my wonderful recommendations that I gave earlier, I'll have to say that you do whatever is comfortable for *you* and that makes *you* happy. Sure, in this society we're living in today the threat of liability lawsuits are ever present, but we can't live our lives always looking over our shoulder to see if the other "boot" is about to drop...if were always looking over our shoulder we might one day step off a cliff. Years ago while down in France's wine district the guy showing us around explained to us that they have a philosophy..."We work to live, we don't live to work.". I've got issues with some of the French "thoughts" but I've mulled over that statement a lot of times and think it has a good bit of wisdom in it. We've only one life to use while here on earth. I don't think there is really a "right" or "wrong" course of action to what you are asking about. At the end of the day when I lay my weary body down, what I did during the day that gives me peace and that makes me smile in humble retrospect seems like the important things to me.

There's more to life than bean-counting, but bean soup is good...but it's a lot better when you have a smile on your face when you're eating it.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    For me, life is about relationships, not work. Work is necessary, but it doesn't define me.
    Well said, that goes for me too.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Well said, that goes for me too.

I second and third that Berry.

My previous post was actually made in error. I Forgot I was reading the commercial forum. I read this forum, but don't post here. Sorry.
    My situation is much different than the OP's. I'm not commercial.

Lauri - if you spoke the truth, there is no need to apologize to me.

Crazy Roland

Lauri,

Not sure why you have particulars about posting in the commercial side. There are many aspects of commercial beekeeping. You don't need 1000 hives to post here if that's whats holding you back.

Ever soul who follows what you post on Beesource can easily gather you are already in the commercial side of this gig albeit on the smaller side. From what I gather you either have a Masters in Marketing already or ought to be given a honorary Doctorate in the subject at BEE-U.

SELL...SELL...SELL!!!!

Thanks guys
    I'm workin' on it.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    We are located right off a county road. No privacy here as we kind of stick out like a sore thumb with trucks forklifts and bee equipment everywhere. My wife handles the honey stand and deals with the public. I have one iron fisted rule. NO ONE COMES IN WHERE I AM EXTRACTING,UNLESS ITS A LIFE OR DEATH EMERGENCY. Its my job and I hate being distracted . Most people respect that.
    Hey Mike, I posted last year AFTER I'd been to your place to buy honey while I was visiting in beautiful northern CA with my sweetie--not knowing at the time I was buying from a Beesource member! I still have the empty honey jar of Tooley's honey. Had a nice chat with your wife about your bee business and bees in general. I liked the down home feeling of your operation and walking past the bee equipment to the store room where you sell honey.

Personally, I won't let people in during extraction simply for sanitary reasons. I have a kitchen operation.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Bevy, my wife really enjoyed visiting with a fellow beekeeper. My extracting room is pretty tight, not really room for anyone else in there. Its just a one man band. Also every time the door opens ,3 bees fly in.

If I had to do it over again, I still wouldn't keep the public away. Its been wonderful meeting interesting people from all over the world. So ring the bell, and we will pop up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123