Default Using Reefers to treat comb for wax moth and hive beetles

I've heard of only a couple people who use semi reefers to kill wax moth and hive beetle but I have never seen it done or talked to someone who has experience doing it. My question is simply this: Does it work and does it work in Florida winter weather(I would of course add shade/extra insulation if necessary). I'm tired of chemicals...unless they are something different than paramoth, phostoxin or S02 and genuinely food grade stuff) Thanks

Default Re: Using Reefers to treat comb for wax moth and hive beetles

I use a reefer to freeze out brood comb about twice per summer. Keeps the moths at bay and gives me a place to put the comb out of the honey house.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I just had to google reefer.

Yes, reefer can make you giggle.
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

we used to have a reefer for hauling bees south. during the summer we used to connect to our honey house and used it for a hot room with a propane heater and fan. never had to kill wax moths as we rotated supers and kept them on the bees. hard to find anything cheaper for the storage space and it cannot be taxed.

I did a few cutouts on a property that had 20 old reefer trailers with dayton split rims on them :O (i used to repair them). I bet the owner of the property would sell me one cheap. Probably blow all 8 tires just moving them off the property lol But that's a really good idea as our reefer train cars are full of garbage. They would definitely make a good hot/cold house.

When I read the title of the post though I thought he meant the 'green' type of reefer lol
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    When I read the title of the post though I thought he meant the 'green' type of reefer lol
    I had to do my own google search to see what you guys were talking about. Hahaha, no I'm not trying to make the wax moths happy before I freeze them to death.

Thanks for the info Ian. I was told that a reefer has a hard time freezing something and is more for just keeping goods frozen that have already been pre-frozen. About how long does it take for you to freeze a load of supers?

I have no idea what they are talking about, as my reefer will drop the inside temp to 20F within half a day. I let it run for two or three days, or about one tank of fuel. The cost is your fuel, where as with fumigation chemical is your cost. I use the trailer for storage, and its saftied so I can also transport goods with it. I bought my unit for $5500 in working condition, and road ready but many excellent units are available for under $10000.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com