Default An Ignorant Bee Keeper in Siouxland Iowa

I've been interested in bees for quite a long time...years...but only in the last month did a find myself hip deep (quite literally) in bees!

A family in my church, with a daughter who's allergic, had bees in their home. They could find no one who was willing to remove them and had to move all of their kids downstairs because the heat was drawing the bees out into the bedrooms to fan.

Seeing their plight and sweet talking my wife, I undertook the laborious process of doing a cut out with absolutely ZERO bee experience. (I have yet to discover if I'm allergic like my father, or not like my mother...I knock on wood every time I state this.)

I transferred the bees into a top-bar I built, and well...that hasn't gone exactly swimmingly, but I'll post another thread with my questions/issues in that regard.

From the unusable comb I harvested about a gallon and a half of honey and more than that of nectar, which I've set up in a feeder for the bees in my top-bar.

We're enjoying the sweet treats of the hive, and my kids absolutely love to watch them work through the observation window I incorporated into the hive. Hopefully they will build up in time for winter and we'll get to enjoy them for more than just a few months.

Here's hoping!
    Peace,
    Jim

Default Re: An Ignorant Bee Keeper in Siouxland Iowa

Way to jump right into it! Sounds like you are having fun and getting yourself and the kids off to a good start.

Welcome from NE Kansas Jim!

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks for the welcome guys. If you've ever dealt with a queen-less hive I'd appreciate your input on my other thread dealing with queen cups and introducing a new queen.

Bbruff22 - I lived in Olathe for about 10yrs.
    Peace,
    Jim

Howdy Jim!!
    Name here is earl and I grew up in LeMars....LOL...SMALL WORLD....I still have family there and visit several times a year....I tell people I OWN Lemars but when I come to visit I have to rent a motel room ..... Any way Welcome and enjoy beesourse, Lots of info here on anything you might have questions on, and people with tons of expierance....,Maybe we can have coffee at Lollies one of these days

==McBee7==

Grew up in the Siouxland area myself. Best of luck with the bees. There's no trick to it, just open up the bee hive dig in and do it.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney