Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Logistics of keeping up with syrup supplementation

Me too Frank, I found a place that sells HFCS locally in 55gallon barrels and it is so much easier than mixing sugar. I do cut the HFCS 55 with some water depending on the time of year and what I'm wanting the hives to do.

Do you have a gas grill with a side burner? When I do mix sugar I find it a lot faster to use the burner on the grill or use the gas turkey fryer to warm up the water.

That is one of the dilemmas. What we take we consider surplus. If the bees need it in the dearth then that is what they require for optimum nutrition.

As we don't want syrup in our honey we take take off frames beyond the hives 100 lb...2 deeps...for winter. Hopefully there is a fall flow plus once the extra true honey is off we offer 2:1 syrup. Then before closing up for winter we equalize the surplus frames from the fall between the hives.

It seems to be take some honey and feed later on or leave all honey and don't feed. We have farm status to maintain so need take off some honey.

I w ill likely remove and store capped honey frames above the 2 deeps this weekend. I will leave partly filled and uncapped frames plus some empties. Once the capped frames are off I will feed. Come fall I will check what the bees need and if needed will give them back some, or all, of the stored honey frames. If they have enough then I will extract. Downside of this is it is easier to extract when it is hot out. By fall it is cooler and I need to artificially heat the extraction room

Quote Originally Posted by ABruce View Post
    As a newbie, I am not sure I understand, if you are in a dearth and considering feeding, why leave the honey supers on? Would not the bees start to consume them since they are out of ready available food sources? Do you hope they will add to it if you get a fall flow? Would it not be easier on the bees to extract and give them back built frames to refill?
    Regards
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I suppose a way around the scooping would be to install a ball valve in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringGreen View Post
    I can't lift a full five gallon either I've been dipping the mixed solution out of my bucket into my dispensing jugs via a very large ladle or measuring cup, whichever is handy.

We call it bee soup here and my family says I cook more for the bees than I do for them. However, the bees don't turn their noses up...the family complains every night..
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I have ordered a 64 litre stock pot with a spigot hope that will help at least for now. I also ordered a propane heater so I can also use the 2 5 gal pots...they don't have spigots.

Can you order ready made syrup in varying concentrations? Does it come in a huge container with a pump or spigot? Only downside I can see us if no spigot/pump and if you end up with more than you need for the season. Not sure I have enough experience to correctly calculate future needs. My understanding is that the stuff does go off.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    I took honey off the producers in the yard here a few weeks ago. Those that didn't move up to the fireweed patch, are now in the back lot and have feeders on. I only gave them enough to 'tide them over' for a few weeks, 1:1 syrup, a 4 liter milk jug each. Goldenrod is starting to bloom here, so I'm expecting that will help them out a little as well.

We'll be bringing the rest down from the fireweed patch in another week or so. When they come home, they go on my shiny new hive stands we finished out in the back lot yesterday. Supers will come off and go thru the extractor. I've got a few that have turned into a very successful experiment, queen excluder between the two deeps, queen in the box below. Those have a deep and a medium super full of fireweed nectar right now. Current plan is to give them all a couple gallons of 1:1 as soon as they are back home, then start dealing with mites. We will weigh them all in the first week of september, and then stack on as much 2:1 as necessary to get them up to wintering weight.

As far as cooking up bee food, this year I'll get away with using a 5 gallon stockpot, but by next year I'm going to need something a little larger. I've been eyeing this one up to now, but I do like the one posted earlier with a spigot, if only it was a little larger.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/in...-0422513p.html

At 64 liters (roughly 16 gallons) , one can do a fairly good batch in one go, but the logistics of getting it from the pot into the feeders looks to be a PITA. A spigot would help a lot for that.

If I lived over in Vancouver like you do, I'd look into sidestepping the whole process, and look into buying liquid sugar at the refinery. It would save a ton of hassle, pull up with pickup and pump it directly into a tank in the back. From there, pump it directly into the feeders on the hives. It may or may not need to be diluted with water along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I fill five gallon buckets of HFCS at Mann Lake and forgo the mixing work and equipment.
    Nice if you Re near a supplier...although some say they don't like using HFCS

Quote Originally Posted by SpringGreen View Post
    However, the bees don't turn their noses up...the family complains every night..
    LOL - That is too funny (and sadly partly true here). If I had turned my nose up and complained about food like some of mine do, .... Well those smacks would have made me a year or two younger because I would have been smacked so hard and so much I would have been landing in the next week regularly.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Another device that works, is to get an old beer keg, a 15.5 gallon one. Then cut a hole, and mount a 5500 watt water heater element near the bottom. You will need a 240VAC outlet somewhere convenient, and make up a decent cord and plug for the element. There are kits from beer home-brew supply places that make spigot kits and tube gauges that mount on the side to measure whats in the keg. If anyone is interested, I can take a few photos and post them here, of the one I have constructed.

This thing will boil 11 gallons of water in no time!

I guess I'm just lucky in that I haven't had a need to boil the water. Just mix and go.

Wayne

Thanks for that! Great information!