Default Queen Cell Questions

As a first year keeper I have a lot of questions... I have 2 boxes a deep on the bottom and a medium. I saw the queen today in the medium box, yet in a lower box there was a queen cell. The lower box was full of nectar and pollen, but not all of the frames in either of the boxes had been completely drawn (probably 8/10 in each box).

I did not check all of the frames for queen cells, and did see capped brood and larvae. Would there be more queen cells on other frames? Why would there be a queen cell right now? Should I add on a third box to give them more space? I don't want to split the hive right now as I only wanted one in my first year

Default Re: Queen Cell Questions

The first question is always what you define as a "queen cell". Does it have a larvae in it? Is it capped? If it's empty, it's not a queen cell and it means nothing. The next question is what is the age distribution of the cells (if there are more than one). In other words if they are all almost capped or capped or are there young larvae, older larvae, white and capped and brown and capped then maybe they are swarming. If they are all the same age, they are probably superseding. This time of year superseding is more likely, but a crowded hive might swarm anytime...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Going to go out tomorrow and take some pictures. If they are swarming would putting another box on suppress that?

If they are swarm cells I would do a split now and maybe recombine them later. It's hard to change their minds if they already have queen cells, and often they already swarmed if you have capped queen cells, but they may still afterswarm...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF