Default Add a deep or a medium super?

I have a swarm that we caught in early June. Smallish, maybe two pounds. They built up pretty nicely in their top bar hive nuc. We moved them about 3.5 weeks after we hived them into a 10 frame deep Lang. They had 3/4 built or fully built out comb on seven top bars. And we placed four deep frames with them. They're building nice comb and are really starting to pack the hive. They've got partials on pretty much every bar/frame, but I haven't looked since last weekend. They were probably close to 70% drawn and I figure they need another box now because there was a ton of ready-to-emerge brood in the box. I ran out there to check on them tonight, knew they had significantly taken off when I saw the landing board.

I know this isn't heavy traffic, but it's several notches higher than it has been, it's been more like the hive in the background (another swarm caught about 1.5 weeks after the one in the forefront).

10344803_10100311494489655_3782997470352464725_n.jpg

So I just popped the top and inner cover off to take a peak in and make a quick assessment. Usually there is 4-5 bees on the inner cover and top bars.

10520421_10100311494529575_7960748115175389222_n.jpg

I noticed the hive smells like what others describe goldenrod smelling like (kind of dirty sock/butterscotch odor). And there is a good amount of goldenrod that's opened up here in the past week or so.

Eventually I want to run double deep brood chambers in this hive, but it seems a bit late for them to be able to significantly draw that much more comb before the winter.

So... should I plop on a deep and see what happens or put a medium super on?

Thanks!

Default Re: Add a deep or a medium super?

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post

Eventually I want to run double deep brood chambers in this hive, but it seems a bit late for them to be able to significantly draw that much more comb before the winter.

So... should I plop on a deep and see what happens or put a medium super on?

Thanks!
    This late in the year, in our region, the bees would most likely not finish a deep. I would be inclined to add a medium.

Shane

First off, I would give them a bigger entrance, even just graduate to the 4" opening...

Second, I am confused...the frames are all at different heights with no bee space in between...are the frames resting on the bottom board? 11 boards in a 10 frame hive? Is there no ledge to rest the frames on within this box? Why the shim? This looks to be a recipe for future disaster IMO...

Third, though I don't deal with winter situations, so I should probably not even contribute, but I would think it would be too late to expect them to draw and fill another deep. Try a medium and see what they do with it.

Honestly, I am very perplexed and confused with the set-up as shown in photo 2...interested to hear your thoughts and logic...
    Last edited by Bees In Miami; 08-03-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    First off, I would give them a bigger entrance, even just graduate to the 4" opening...

Second, I am confused...the frames are all at different heights with no bee space in between...are the frames resting on the bottom board? 11 boards in a 10 frame hive? Is there no ledge to rest the frames on within this box? Why the shim? This looks to be a recipe for future disaster IMO...

Third, though I don't deal with winter situations, so I should probably not even contribute, but I would think it would be too late to expect them to draw and fill another deep. Try a medium and see what they do with it.

Honestly, I am very perplexed and confused with the set-up as shown in photo 2...interested to hear your thoughts and logic...

I explained the top bars being used above. I have shaved the bars down to 1.25" so 11 fit in the box and the bees can move through the gap fine, except where the top bars are obviously.

There is a ledge the frames rest on with bee space around the frames as is standard. The top bars are just combs, no frames.

The shim is because my top bars are a bit too tall to allow the inner cover to sit correctly, so it's a temporary spacer. When I add the medium it won't be needed. The frames will be a bit closer on the bottom but should still be bee space. I haven't had any issues with attachment in my TBHs and these langs are doing just fine. Working om having them draw comb next year to rotate out the top bars will be the goal.

I was thinking a medium would.be the best bet. Thanks for the input.

The golden rod is covering much of the ditches and the like near these hives. It is just starting to bloom and will be going gangbusters in about a week. There are also probably clost to 100 acres of alfalfa and the farmers have been letting it bloom all year. Not sure if they're planning on cutting again, but if they don't we should be getting some timely rain here soon and the fields have grown back close to flowering size again. So we might get a decent boost here in the fall.

I'm going to put a medium super on tonight after work and see what they do. This is my first year, so I don't really know how well a hive would overwinter in a single deep and how much honey they'd need to be expected to survive the winter. I can read all the guidelines in the world, but it's tough without experiencing. If I can get them to get honey into most of a medium I'll feel much better about their winter hardiness. They are going to have a great foraging force to take advantage of whatever flow we might get here in the next month or so.