Default Varrox and Varrocleaner Oxalic Acid Vaporizers for sale:

Beekeepers now have a greater choice in vaporizers. We now carry both the Varrocleaner and the Varrox Oxalic Acid Vaporizers. We recommend the Varrocleaner for those with 10 hives or less and the Varrox for those with more than 10 hives or wish to have the “Cadillac” of vaporizers.

Both are quality vaporizers however, the Varrox is the one mentioned by Randy Oliver on his website (Scientific Beekeeping) as “One of the highest ranked models.” It is the one you’ll pass down to your son.

Unlike other vaporizers, both are ready to go right out the box, require no additional wiring and have no glow-plug that may need replacing. With a little electric ingenuity you can connect several vaporizers to treat multiple hives at the same time. Both require approximately 2 ½ minutes to vaporize. We recommend that you “test fire” either vaporizer before use to find out the time YOUR battery may require to completely vaporize the acid.
    With other treatment methods, you need to purchase them over & over and at substantial cost. With vaporization, you have a one-time cost for the vaporizer and the treatments are mere pennies per treatment!

Some differences between the two:
    The Varrox can be cooled by plunging in a pail of water to cool down after use. With the Varrocleaner, you must use a wet rag or sponge.
    The Varrox has a stainless steel pan that vaporizes the OA more efficiently than the aluminum one on the Varrocleaner.
    The Varrocleaner has a seal to stabilize the unit in the hive and trap vapors. The Varrox has “wings” that stabilize it.

General:

The vaporization of oxalic acid in beehives is a proven method of killing both Varroa & Tracheal mites. Load the cup of the vaporizer with one gram (per brood chamber) of oxalic acid (wood bleach that you can purchase on Ebay, Amazon or at your Ace hardware store where in is known as wood bleach) insert it in the hive and connect it to any 12 volt battery. The vaporization will complete in 2 1/2 minutes. Leave it in the hive for a minute more to seal in the vapors and you're finished! Remember to seal the hive for 10 minutes afterwards to lock in the vapors. Cut pieces of foam work just great!

August for most beekeepers is the time the year when Varroa mites explode in our hives. If you've not tested for mites, you should. If you need to treat, consider Oxalic Acid Vaporization (OAV.) OAV is most effective in broodless colonies as it kills only phoretic mites (those on the bees, but not in the brood.) If used during a period when there is brood, know that it does NOT harm brood, bees or the queen! HOWEVER, you must use it weekly for the 3 weeks to kill the mites that are emerging on the nurse bees. If you have supers on, remove them prior to treatment or place a barrier (Coroplast is suggested) between the supers and brood chambers. You can remove the barrier 2 hours after treating.

You can read much more, view a video of usage and purchase these vaporizers on OxaVap.com. Beesource members who purchase there and PM me here afterwards here on BS with their name and email address will receive a $5 discount! (That is unless you’re a SC resident, in that case, I’ll pay the sales tax for you!)

Remember, the only good mite is a Vaporized One!
    Last edited by snl; 08-04-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Default Re: Varrox and Varrocleaner Oxalic Acid Vaporizers for sale:

Nice website. I don't guess you can actually sell the chemical and ship it can you. In my area at least it is not always available off the shelf. That said I can always get it, but just wondering.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Beekeepers, skim thru BS and see all the folks that are treating for mites using OAV. Don't get left out on this outstanding form of treatment! OAV when used with adequate protection is an excellent and CHEAP (pennies per hive) way of treating. Don't lose your hive(s) to mites! Unlike some other treatments OAV does not harm the bees, brood, queens or contaminate your comb!
    You can read much more, view a video of usage and purchase these vaporizers on OxaVap.com. Beesource members who purchase there and PM me here afterwards here on BS with their name and email address will receive a $5 discount! (That is unless you’re a SC resident, in that case, I’ll pay the sales tax for you!)

Default Why isn’t EVERYBODY treating for mites with Oxalic Acid?

We all have a good guess as to the treatment free folks’ answers to this question, but what about everyone else? For the commercial guys, Oxalic Acid dribble is the way to go since vaporization is too time consuming (but I’ve an answer for that coming in a couple of months).

For the rest of us, used with adequate protection, Oxalic Acid Vaporization (OAV) is too good to pass up for the treatment of mites. OAV does NOT harm brood, bees, queens or contaminate the comb, yet it decimates mites!

After the initial cost of the vaporizer, we’re talking less than $.10 (that’s right 10 cents!) per treatment! Considering how much a package or nuc is selling for these days the cost of the vaporizer is minimal compared to the cost of replacing your bees!

Some say OAV harms the microbes in the hives. While that may be true, a hive treated with OAV bounces back readily. Read some of the many posts here on BS from those that are using it, you’ll find that they find it amazing! Yes, it is not an approved mitecide, but it is not a pesticide either!

Why lose your hives to mites or pay for costly treatments that contaminate your comb or harm your bees and perhaps KILL your queen?

This time of year with the supers removed and mites multiplying in your hives is a great time to treat. It’s easy, just insert the vaporizer and treat! No need to open the hive, just cover any openings. I use cut foam or a rag or sometimes just a wet towel to hold the vapors inside. Some have reported great success not even closing the hive, just waiting till the vapors are escaping and then moving to the next hive. I recommend closing them (it does not have to be a perfect closure).

Now in August/September, if I need to treat, I treat 3 times, 5 days apart. Right around Thanksgiving, I treat again (when the hive is basically broodless) to kill greater than 95% of the remaining mites and set my bees up for a mite free winter. Remember, the biggest cause of winter losses are starvation and mites (or the diseases they cause).

If you have supers on, you can still treat! You just need to remove the supers or place a sheet of cardboard, sheet metal, cardboard…….whatever between your supers and brood chamber. You can remove any of these 3 hours after treating.

I treat either early in the morning or later in the evening when most of the bees are back in the hive.

You can purchase Oxalic Acid on Ebay, Amazon, or Ace Hardware where is known as wood bleach.

Why wait? Order your vaporizer now at OxaVap.com. BS members who order there and PM me back receive a $5 rebate.

Last edited by snl; 08-20-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Why isn’t EVERYBODY treating for mites with Oxalic Acid?

I just ordered one from your website. I am fairly new so I wonder how to PM you? Looking forward to getting it.

From Knute:

The phoretic stage of the mite lifecycle is 5-7 days, so it's possible with a 7 day OA treatment interval that a mite can emerge and make it back into another capped larvae before the next OA treatment. I have been looking for (but haven't found) good data on how many days after treatment the OA is still killing mites. I've seen drop rates, but these don't distinguish between mites that took a few days to die after being exposed as opposed to a mite that mite have emerged a day or more after the treatment and was exposed to lingering OA. Oxalic acid is very hygroscopic, so humidity in the hive will quickly convert the tiny crystals to a reactive solution, and my bet is the OA dissipates very quickly as it "bleaches the woodwork".

I have treated at 3-4 times at 5 day and at 7 day intervals, and anecdotally the 5 day treatment was more effective, but I need to do more controlled testing to be sure. With brood in the hive, OA is definitely not as effective as it is when the hive is broodless. My last round of several treatments at 7 day intervals in July only reduced the mite counts by approximately 50%. (Measured using the powdered sugar shake method, shaking for a solid minute to ensure reasonable accuracy of the count) I'm leaning towards either doing more frequent OA treatments during summer, or switching to MAQS for summer and OA for winter when the mite counts indicate it's time to treat (>2 mites per hundred bees sampled).
    For what it's worth, I have seen nearly zero negative effects from using OA.

Do you provide a can of OA with each purchase?

Why isn’t EVERYBODY treating for mites with Oxalic Acid?

We all have a good guess as to the treatment free folks’ answers to this question, but what about everyone else? For the commercial guys, Oxalic Acid dribble is the way to go since vaporization is too time consuming (but I have an answer for that coming next month!!)

For the rest of us, used with adequate protection, Oxalic Acid Vaporization (OAV) is too good to pass up for the treatment of mites. OAV does NOT harm brood, bees, queens or contaminate the comb, yet it decimates mites!

After the initial cost of the vaporizer, we’re talking less than $.10 (that’s right 10 cents!) per treatment! Considering how much a package or nuc is selling for these days the cost of the vaporizer is minimal compared to the cost of replacing your bees!

Some say OAV harms the microbes in the hives. While that may be true, a hive treated with OAV bounces back readily. Read some of the many posts here on BS from those that are using it and checking their mite drops afterwards, you’ll find that they find it amazing!

Why lose your hives to mites or pay for costly treatments that contaminate your comb or harm your bees and perhaps KILL your queen?

This time of year with the supers removed and mites multiplying in your hives is a great time to treat. It’s easy, just insert the vaporizer and treat! No need to open the hive, just cover any openings. I use cut foam or a rag or sometimes cover the whole front of the hive with a wet towel when I've got upper and lower entrances, to hold the vapors inside. Some have reported great success not even closing the hive, just waiting till the vapors are escaping and then moving to the next hive. I recommend closing them (it does not have to be a perfect closure).

Now in August/September, if I need to treat, I treat 3 times, 5 days apart. Right around Thanksgiving, I treat again (when the hive is basically broodless) to kill greater than 95% of the remaining mites and set my bees up for a mite free winter. Remember, the biggest cause of winter losses are starvation and mites (or the diseases they cause).

If you have supers on, you can still treat! You just need to remove the supers or place a sheet of cardboard, sheet metal, cardboard…….whatever between your supers and brood chamber. You can remove any of these 3 hours after treating.

I treat either early in the morning or later in the evening when most of the bees are back in the hive.

You can purchase Oxalic Acid on Ebay, Amazon, or Ace Hardware where is known as wood bleach.

Why wait? Order your vaporizer now at OxaVap.com. BS members who order there and PM me back receive a $5 rebate.

Why isn’t EVERYBODY treating for mites with Oxalic Acid?

We all have a good guess as to the treatment free folks’ answers to this question, but what about everyone else? For the commercial guys, Oxalic Acid dribble is the way to go since vaporization is too time consuming (but I have an answer for that coming next month!!)

Some say OAV harms the microbes in the hives. While that may be true, a hive treated with OAV bounces back readily. Read some of the many posts here on BS from those that are using it and checking their mite drops afterwards, you’ll find that they find it amazing!

This time of year with the supers removed and mites multiplying in your hives is a great time to treat. It’s easy, just insert the vaporizer and treat! No need to open the hive, just cover any openings. I use cut foam or a rag or sometimes cover the whole front of the hive with a wet towel when I've got upper and lower entrances, to hold the vapors inside. Some have reported great success not even closing the hive, just waiting till the vapors are escaping and then moving to the next hive. I recommend closing them (it does not have to be a perfect closure).

Now in September/October, if I need to treat, I treat 3 times, 5 days apart. Right around Thanksgiving, I treat again (when the hive is basically broodless) to kill greater than 95% of the remaining mites and set my bees up for a mite free winter. Remember, the biggest cause of winter losses are starvation and mites (or the diseases they cause).