Why isn’t EVERYBODY treating for mites with Oxalic Acid?
We all have a good guess as to the treatment free folks’ answers to this question, but what about everyone else? For the commercial guys, Oxalic Acid dribble is the way to go since vaporization is too time consuming (but I have an answer for that coming next month!!)
For the rest of us, used with adequate protection, Oxalic Acid Vaporization (OAV) is too good to pass up for the treatment of mites. OAV does NOT harm brood, bees, queens or contaminate the comb, yet it decimates mites!
After the initial cost of the vaporizer, we’re talking less than $.10 (that’s right 10 cents!) per treatment! Considering how much a package or nuc is selling for these days the cost of the vaporizer is minimal compared to the cost of replacing your bees!
Some say OAV harms the microbes in the hives. While that may be true, a hive treated with OAV bounces back readily. Read some of the many posts here on BS from those that are using it and checking their mite drops afterwards, you’ll find that they find it amazing!
Why lose your hives to mites or pay for costly treatments that contaminate your comb or harm your bees and perhaps KILL your queen?
This time of year with the supers removed and mites multiplying in your hives is a great time to treat. It’s easy, just insert the vaporizer and treat! No need to open the hive, just cover any openings. I use cut foam or a rag or sometimes cover the whole front of the hive with a wet towel when I've got upper and lower entrances, to hold the vapors inside. Some have reported great success not even closing the hive, just waiting till the vapors are escaping and then moving to the next hive. I recommend closing them (it does not have to be a perfect closure).
Now in August/September, if I need to treat, I treat 3 times, 5 days apart. Right around Thanksgiving, I treat again (when the hive is basically broodless) to kill greater than 95% of the remaining mites and set my bees up for a mite free winter. Remember, the biggest cause of winter losses are starvation and mites (or the diseases they cause).
If you have supers on, you can still treat! You just need to remove the supers or place a sheet of cardboard, sheet metal, cardboard…….whatever between your supers and brood chamber. You can remove any of these 3 hours after treating.
I treat either early in the morning or later in the evening when most of the bees are back in the hive.
You can purchase Oxalic Acid on Ebay, Amazon, or Ace Hardware where is known as wood bleach.
Why wait? Order your vaporizer now at OxaVap.com. BS members who order there and PM me back receive a $5 rebate.
Remember, the only good mite is a Vaporized One!