Default howdy from south carolina

hello all, in my rookie season here and learning everything the hard way as usual. I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts and gleaning info in the process. I'm not sure if I have a problem or not, so here is the situation- started a new hive in late march, 1 deep, after three weeks 8 frames were drawn and added a medium, first week in may added another medium, late may added another deep on top of original deep. mid June added another medium and when drawn added another in early July. Now I have 5 mediums and two deeps and everything is full. Even the last medium is nearly capped and the stack is full of bees top to bottom. Everything I read said not to expect honey in first year so I'm unprepared for harvesting, just wanted to have a lot of bees. Mission accomplished apparently. My question is whether I should leave the honey in place for overwintering a large colony or split this late in the summer? Or do I get a ladder and keep stacking?

Default Re: howdy from south carolina

Welcome! You can extract all but one super.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by rdneck View Post
    hello all, in my rookie season here and learning everything the hard way as usual. I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts and gleaning info in the process. I'm not sure if I have a problem or not, so here is the situation- started a new hive in late march, 1 deep, after three weeks 8 frames were drawn and added a medium, first week in may added another medium, late may added another deep on top of original deep. mid June added another medium and when drawn added another in early July. Now I have 5 mediums and two deeps and everything is full. Even the last medium is nearly capped and the stack is full of bees top to bottom. Everything I read said not to expect honey in first year so I'm unprepared for harvesting, just wanted to have a lot of bees. Mission accomplished apparently. My question is whether I should leave the honey in place for overwintering a large colony or split this late in the summer? Or do I get a ladder and keep stacking?
    I would not split this late in season unless you can purchase a mated queen. In South Carolina they will not need that much honey to carry over winter, I would extract some of the honey, two deeps are all they need if they are actually loaded with honey. In Ga they are not many drones in hives now, not in mane anyway, splitting May leave you with a poorly mated or unmated queen.

Welcome from NE Kansas RD! I'm new this year too, and have the same great issue with one of my hives. Enjoy your honey!

Welcome from South Ga. Overwinter and split in the spring. Enjoy Some Honey. There is nothing like your own honey to enjoy.

Welcome from Ridgeville SC. Sounds like you have a good problem. I started this year as well. Coming from a newbie.....you can make a nuc or two and let them make their own queen. If it does not work you can re combine latter. My hives still are producing drones.