Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: US to ban GMO s and Neonicotinoids

AWESOME NEWS! I literally live next to Mississippi Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burrup View Post
    This is what I find the most irritating about the extremes in the green movement. They form their opinions based on emotion, and refuse to even consider any evidence that is contrary to their view. They will accept hands down very poor research as long as it supports their view and reject anything that is contrary to their view. The percentage of our population that has even a rudimentary knowledge of agriculture, and what it takes to produce our food supply is getting very small.
    Dave
    Agree.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Sometimes I know I should keep my opinion to myself or I am going to stir up something unpleasant, but that seems to have never altered much other that on a occasion or two of making this mug a little uglier. So why change now.

What spooked me was articles about some of the companies with GMO that had patents on them. And the lawsuits that have been won by the companies owning the patents against farmers on adjacent lands that had crops show up with genetic markers in the crop. The proof was against the farmers to indicate where they got the seed that produced the crop without paying for them. But pollination was not accepted as source of the genetic markers. Mega corporations can deal with those issues but if these are true and it happens to a few or a single small land farmer, he is likely going to lose everything.

The second thing that spooks me is the issue of the genetically modified plant passing on the resistance or tolerance or whatever it has outside of the planned agriculture field. We are seeing glyphosate resistant plants that are the same genus as some of the commercial GMOs. Last thing we need in my mind is a new strain of XYZ weed in the agriculture community that is resistance to glyphosate or other cheaper herbicides. Then we have to bring in gen4 herbicide of ethyl-methyl-death that cost $200.00 a gallon (or much more) to control this new weed. Treatment rates are 2 quarts per acre and it must be done by helicopter with specific anti-drift agents within X miles of any commercial crops.

Maybe I am seeing ghosts under my bed but I see a lot of non-GMO crops producing mega amounts that are on par with the GMO crops of the same variety in my area. So I don't see the benefit in this area, but we are out of the corn belt.

And just so I am not labeled a greenie - I spray moderate amounts of ethyl Methyl death on my property and have sprayed some much more deadly stuff in the past. That picloram and 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid is nasty. That 2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic acid is even worse. Add the last two together and we get agent orange. Sure didn't know that in the late 70s as a teenager. But used the first stuff this spring. LOL
    Last edited by marshmasterpat; 08-05-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 4 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Quote Originally Posted by SoylentYellow View Post
    We should all remember that confirmation bias works both ways. For what we believe in and for what we don't.

“We listen to what we wanted to hear, ignore the implications of what we did not want to hear, and fail to think through the consequences of truisms or the dogma of management to which we are exposed and with we were comfortable” – James Peek
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 4 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    We should all remember that confirmation bias works both ways. For what we believe in and for what we don't.
    Also agree with this statement. But the main thing is to recognize it happens. Once you are aware of this phenomena you can try to avoid it. I think many are unaware.

What spooked me was articles about some of the companies with GMO that had patents on them. ... The second thing that spooks me is the issue of the genetically modified plant passing on the resistance or tolerance or whatever it has outside of the planned agriculture field.
    Yes, but these are not issues that are restricted to GMOs. The patenting of life forms should be against the law, whereas the patenting of processes, should not. Resistance has always been a problem; having a system in place that can respond quickly to resistant issues is crucial. If plants can be upgraded like we upgrade our computers, then we can stay ahead in the arms race between agriculture and ag pests. Plants that defend themselves have to be better than plants that have to be sprayed

how plants are genetically modified
    glp-infographic copy 2.jpg

I will chime in on the GMO issue with second hand knowledge from a guy I trust, who has had first hand experience on this issue... and yes, I'm paraphrasing:

When an animal is butchered, you can look at its organs to determine the overall health of the animal. If the liver is funky colors with spots on it or such, you can see fairly quickly that it is not well... You may not want to eat it! When you compare the organs of a cow that has been fed GMO feed to another that has not, there is a visible difference in the internal health of the animal. The cow who is fed the GMO's does not look healthy... end of 2nd hand info.

My problem with all of this is that the companies pushing the GMO's are making a killing and they don't care if they hurt you, me or the farmers. Yours and my health is the last thing in the mind of the pharmaceutical/ chemical/ medical companies. Why heal a person when they can make more money treating the symptoms?

If any of you look to the government as the ultimate non-bias authority on the issue, then disregard anything I've written. The difference between those who see the gov't as the problem and those who see the gov't as the solution are just too much to discuss here.

EDIT:

When we went into Iraq in the first Desert Storm, the carpet baggers (Monsanto, etc) were close behind. For hundreds of years (if not longer) the farmers had been saving seed to plant the next year. After the carpet baggers came in, they claimed ownership (however it was done) of the seed strains the farmers had been using and now they can only buy from Monsanto - saving seed is an infringement punishable by law.
    That is disgusting...

Another issue...
    GMO crops allow the widespread use of herbicides that are not good for bees and I don't think they are good for me! Can anybody show me a report that shows that Roundup is good for anybody? Please don't tell me it's not taken up by the plant... I don't believe it! The plant takes it up through the roots and then it is in the food... you can't wash it out!

Lastly - you can spin it however you want to... but I believe this version of the story: Research firm blames Monsanto for bee deaths so Monsanto buys it
    Last edited by Country Roots; 08-20-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Lol country, all I have to say about that... Beelogics was a technology acquisition, specifically RNAi

I was going to respond with a link to the report that Beelogics put out condemning Monsanto... but for some reason it's no longer on the journals web page... I'm trying not to put my tin foil hat on here.

But instead of finding the information I was seeking, I inevitably ended up right back here... see forum thread. It really is exactly what your just said:
    Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Beelogics was a technology acquisition, specifically RNAi
    So great... whether you think Monsanto is a great thing, the anti-christ or somewhere between, I despise them and it scares the stuffing out of me to think that now I can be sued into oblivion because their genetically modified drone mated with my queen! History repeats itself... and too many farmers have lost it all because Monsanto's corn pollen didn't stay in the farmer's field where it was planted.

If it can be proved that this stuff (roundup, gmo corn, gmo soy, gmo bee's, etc) is good for me and good for the bee's, I'll change my tune.

You're very uninformed on the issue. Stop posting about it. There are no gmo bees, except in Germany now. I don't care what you think either about Monsanto, but I defend misinformation on the subject which you are spewing. Btw, you can't get sued for inadvertent advantitious presence on your behalf.

Country, What a load of malarkey !

If it can be proved that this stuff (roundup, gmo corn, gmo soy, gmo bee's, etc) is good for me and good for the bee's, I'll change my tune.
    As they said, there are no GM bees. The likelihood of there ever being is very slim. What would be the point? Nobody has any idea what genes control what in the honey bee, so what genes would they modify? Would they make a bee that tastes bad to varroa? That might work!

Meanwhile, almost all the food you eat is GMO. Now, can I prove that eating food is bad for you? Depends on if you are fat. Moderate consumption of food is usually not a problem. If you eat only donuts, maybe you have an issue with a balanced diet.

Years ago it was shown that if you avoid pesticides by avoiding fruit, you will suffer more from the lack of the health giving properties of fruit than you ever would from the pesticides you consumed by eating the fruit.

GM food has a few genes altered that make the plants resistant to insects. These properties express primarily in the leaves and stems, not in the portions we eat. Even if they did appear in the edible parts, they affect insects and you are not an insect.

The point is: nobody has any evidence that GM food causes any health problems to people. To insects, they do.

It's disapointing that you simply dismiss me and claim I am "spewing" "misinformation" instead of providing links to reports or information that would cause me to change my opinion. If I am wrong, show me otherwise! Who knows, I just might change my mind...

There are no gmo bees, except in Germany now.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterloringborst View Post
    As they said, there are no GM bees. The likelihood of there ever being is very slim. What would be the point? Nobody has any idea what genes control what in the honey bee, so what genes would they modify? Would they make a bee that tastes bad to varroa? That might work!
    Well which one is it?

Btw, you can't get sued for inadvertent advantitious presence on your behalf.
    Farmers who save seed from non-gmo corn that cross pollinates with gmo corn have lost it all due to patent infringement battles in court. It seems we will have to agree to disagree... but I believe there is evidence to back up my view.

There is a difference between animals that consume gmo's and those that don't... link
    "Both hogs were about 5 months old and of butchering size.
    GMO hog came from a commercial confinement feeding operation and was fed standard corn, which today is primarily GMO.
    Non-GMO hog came from farmer Scott Gaier and was fed only non-GMO corn grown on his farm from the time it was a piglet at 50 pounds.

GMO Hog
    Blood was blackish-red when head was dropped.
    Skin came off non-uniformly
    Fat layer was uneven and non-uniform and a little yellow
    Carcass had a repulsive stench when skinned
    Disgustingly repulsive stench inside the carcass cavity after the internal organs were removed
    Lungs were multi-colored white and light red with a lot of black spots
    Gall bladder was yellow and contained repulsive yellow fluid
    Intestines were bloated with gas and thin
    Stomach contained a repulsive yellow fluid
    Stomach walls had quite a few large perforations (ulcers) and had a yellow stain. Stomach wall was thin.
    Heart wall was thin on one side
    Several small nodules or tumors beneath the backbone on the inside of the carcass cavity, near the rear of the carcass.

NON-GMO Hog
    Blood was bright red when head was dropped, indicating good oxygenation
    Skin came off uniformly
    Fat layer was even and uniform and pure white
    Carcass had a sweet smell when skinned
    Sweet smell of carcass was more pronounced inside carcass cavity after internal organs were removed
    Lungs were healthy looking uniform pink color
    Gall bladder looked good
    Intestines were uniform and strong
    Stomach contained the grain from the last feeding
    Stomach wall had no perforations. Stomach wall was thick.
    Heart wall was thick (strong)
    No nodules or tumors visible"

They only sue when the intent was purposeful. A few farmers knowingly selected for the gmo trait and propagated those lines only after discovering inadvertent presence in their fields which goes against contracts in place. Monsanto always wins these suits because it always comes to light the farmers knew they were breaching contract. A few well publicized cases has lead the suit rate to be of mythological proportions and now everyone has an uncle who got sued when it's never happened. The article you linked is a great representation of that. The organic group lost because the courts reviewed their data and Monsanto has never sued anyone for the exact reason they were 'pre-emptively' suing Monsanto for so they threw out the case. Huffington post isn't a great source of data either...
    Really, some second hand nonsense from butchering two hogs raised separately without knowing anything else about how they were raised is just bad

2 hogs don't make a story. There are thousands of perfectly healthy steers, hogs, chickens, etc. slaughtered after being fed GMO grain. I say hogwash.
    Last edited by camero7; 08-22-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Deleted by author
    Last edited by peterloringborst; 08-22-2014 at 04:57 PM.

What if I told you I fed all my hogs exclusively on GMO's and nothing was wrong with them.... best meat I ever seen in my life.... what if I blogged about it.... I'd be a complete liar of course, but just because it's on the internet makes it true...

If you don't understand the science, don't report what 'you heard' on it, most of what you hear is someone pushing an agenda based on nothing but baseless science or flat out lies or misunderstanding. If I were to biochemically analyze GMO corn fed to that 'sick hog' it would probably be 99.9999999% similar to non gmo corn. Don't tell me a bt toxin expressed to kill beetle larva in minute quantities is going to make a hog sicker than death, because quite frankly it's a load.

This week's New Yorker Magazine has a story on GMOs:

For years, people have been afraid that eating genetically modified foods would make them sick, and Shiva’s speeches are filled with terrifying anecdotes that play to that fear. But since 1996, when the crops were first planted, humans have consumed trillions of servings of foods that contain genetically engineered ingredients, and have draped themselves in thousands of tons of clothing made from genetically engineered cotton, yet there has not been a single documented case of any person becoming ill as a result. That is one reason that the National Academy of Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the World Health Organization, the U.K.’s Royal Society, the French Academy of Sciences, the European Commission, and dozens of other scientific organizations have all concluded that foods derived from genetically modified crops are as safe to eat as any other food.

Monsanto is certainly rich, but it is simply not that powerful. Exxon Mobil is worth seven times as much as Monsanto, yet it has never been able to alter the scientific consensus that burning fossil fuels is the principal cause of climate change. Tobacco companies spend more money lobbying in Washington each year than Monsanto does, but it’s hard to find scientists who endorse smoking. The gulf between the truth about G.M.O.s and what people say about them keeps growing wider. The Internet brims with videos that purport to expose the lies about genetically modified products. Mike Adams, who runs a popular Web site called Natural News, recently compared journalists who are critical of anti-G.M.O. activists such as Shiva to Nazi collaborators.

The most persistent objection to agricultural biotechnology, and the most common, is that, by cutting DNA from one species and splicing it into another, we have crossed an invisible line and created forms of life unlike anything found in “nature.” That fear is unquestionably sincere. Yet, as a walk through any supermarket would demonstrate, nearly every food we eat has been modified, if not by genetic engineering then by more traditional cross-breeding, or by nature itself. Corn in its present form wouldn’t exist if humans hadn’t cultivated the crop. The plant doesn’t grow in the wild and would not survive if we suddenly stopped eating it.
    Last edited by peterloringborst; 08-22-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roots View Post

GMO Hog...

NON-GMO Hog...
    this obviously looks to be a set of unbiased observations! lol

how many butcher animals inspected daily in the world... hmmm
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast