yafa Guest

Default Getting started in beekeeping?

What are all the supplies I need to get started in beekeeping? I keep seeing these starter kits for sale, but they don't provide you with any way to extract the honry, right? So what do I need to do it right? thanks

Default Re: Getting started in beekeeping?

Welcome to Beesource!

You haven't told us what style of beekeeping you wish to pursue, so its tough to make firm recommendations on equipment. I suggest that you review this sub-forum for background info on many of your possible questions, then come back with more specific issues that may not be covered:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/foru...art-Beekeeping
    Graham
    --- HVAC design via ESP ... Who'd a thunk it ...

I use all 10 frame deeps. and I bulid all my own stuff except frames. I don't recommend top bar unless you have tons of time.

as far as honey extractor don't worry about it until you reach that point. if you want harvest some honey you can always crush comb and strain.

if you bulid your own hive cost will drop from $70-120 for a single hive to about $20.

A thought for you. you can get free bees or even payed to get them by removing from buildings trees and so on
    I get 150 - 450 to remove hives around here in north alabaam

All you need right now are books and the interwebs. It will slowly start to make a bit more sense. Bush farms web site has a detailed debate on equipment and it's pros and cons . I would spend a lot of time reading and re reading it. He takes a lot of the guess work out of it. The beginners kits aren't that great a deal after you price it all out and when you have all your newfound knowledge, you can order it all and find used gear for less. As far as having it all spelled out for you, it's really hard to have a consensus in beekeeping! But I would find someone who's successful and who I liked and copycat them. Hard to argue with success . I say all this because I've just begun and I would have avoided mistakes by doing the research first. This site and Bushfarms, scientific beekeeping and all the books you can read! Good luck!

I listed out great books and videos on my blog here.
    http://photopoach.com/2014/07/16/why...ext-big-thing/

I have two hives, both 8 frame. Really like it. I thought about building hives but bought them first, maybe I'll build later. Call me below! Happy to chat! Don't worry about an extractor, I bought one but it's an overkill 1st year
    Adam Buchanan
    Call or email me to chat bees! 720-789-0243 adam@adamcbuchanan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
    All you need right now are books and the internet. Good luck!
    Spend the fall n winter preparing. Go to local bee meetings. Come spring buy yourself a nuc and let the games begin.

A typical beginner's kit has absolutely nothing that I would buy in it...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesoptions.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF