Default swarm today in MD

was working out in the yard today and heard that familiar roar as a swarm takes the air. I knew which hive it was coming from before I even turned around because when I was in it last week I saw several frames with queen cups with eggs. I pulled 2 frames with cups and made a nuc. I thought it was too late for them too swarm. we are currently in a dearth. but, they did. I tried to collect them with my pool skimmer first, but most kept going back to the branch, so I had to cut it. I saw the queen on the outside of the box, walking on a pile of bees, then she fell off. when I finally saw her on the ground, she flew up to the top of the box. I stood up in time to see her disappear down the side of a frame in the box.swarm-aug2,2014 006.jpgswarm-aug2,2014 004.jpgswarm-aug2,2014 007.jpgswarm-aug2,2014 027.jpgswarm-aug2,2014 028.jpg

Default Re: swarm today in MD

Nice catch. You were kind of lucky to see that queen.

Yeah, we're in a dearth.

Phil in Carney

this swarm was from a swarm i caught in the beginning of may. i guess i was too slow to add the third box.

Caught a swarm the middle of August last year about the size of a football. Started in a deep nuc, added a couple frames of brood, moved up to 8 frame deep as they grew and built comb. They caught the late flow of golden rod, asters, and swamp sunflowers. Made it through winter and was a gang buster hive this year. Great pictures! Hope your swarm does well.