Default Pulled Frame Builder Hive.

I don't know the technical name of it, but I was wondering what are peoples setups for having a hive just to pull wax on frames. Fall flow is getting closer and I'm looking for suggestions on implications on how some people setup hives just to pull frames of wax. My idea was simple; One deep brood box with queen excluder on top and having another deep on top of that just for storage of honey and pulling wax. Checking top box every week after majority of it has been pulled and starting to take out frames one by one and replacing them with new frames to be re-pulled. I understand that majority of bees won't pull comb unless a flow is on and I plan on feeding this builder hive until next spring.
    The reason I ask is. I got WAY more calls this year then any other for swarms, and I was not prepared. During the winter I plan on building 10+ more hives. Having pulled frames will give swarms a greater start to the spring. I also recently purchased 25cu ft chest freezer which after I pull drawn comb, decap, and spin/drain/dry will keep in the freezer until a swarm pops up.

Just wanting some input. I've read and search nothing really came up on this subject.

Default Re: Pulled Frame Builder Hive.

Every week, pull frames of sealed brood from the bottom box and move above the excluder, and replace those with foundation into the bottom box to be drawn. Checkerboard the foundation frames into the outsides of the bottom box. Bees will more readily draw in the brood nest any foundation slipped in to "fix" the open space problem in the nest. Keep feeder on like you said. This also is a method of reducing chances of swarming as it gives them space to work on in the broodnest.

But here's the thing, the easiest way to get comb drawn is to capture swarms on foundation frames ONLY. The bees in swarms have full bellies ready to draw wax where they setup home in the new location. If you give them even one drawn frame, they empty their bellies into the drawn comb and don't start drawing wax so well. So, capture swarms on foundation frames only and give them a feeder to keep them drawing wax.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Default Re: Pulled Frame Builder Hive.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Every week, pull frames of sealed brood from the bottom box and move above the excluder, and replace those with foundation into the bottom box to be drawn. Checkerboard the foundation frames into the outsides of the bottom box. Bees will more readily draw in the brood nest any foundation slipped in to "fix" the open space problem in the nest. Keep feeder on like you said. This also is a method of reducing chances of swarming as it gives them space to work on in the broodnest.

But here's the thing, the easiest way to get comb drawn is to capture swarms on foundation frames ONLY. The bees in swarms have full bellies ready to draw wax where they setup home in the new location. If you give them even one drawn frame, they empty their bellies into the drawn comb and don't start drawing wax so well. So, capture swarms on foundation frames only and give them a feeder to keep them drawing wax.
    Good deal. Thanks for the input, I forgot that swarms tend to draw comb more readily than established hives. Good info.
    THANKS!