Thread: Fall flow

Default Fall flow

Hello All, this is my 3rd year keeping bee to say I am still new at it. I live in central North Carolina and my question is
    what time do the fall flow start and how long does it last? Thanks in advance for your help.

Al

Default Re: Fall flow

When do you get a good frost?

Most years here in the central part of NC our first frost coming around the middle to the late November.

well the answer is about the first frost. it ends then.
    Last edited by mathesonequip; 08-03-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by al.lineberry View Post
    Hello All, this is my 3rd year keeping bee to say I am still new at it.

Al
    Had to laugh when I saw your statement. I am also a 3rd year beek and I often feel like a beginner. I AM learning, but still have too much to learn.

Phil

Looking at a forage map for North Carolina it looks like Goldenrod should have started flowing and it usually flowers through end of October/November in your area. That would probably be the major source of a flow right now. But asters, senna, Joe-pye weed, Loosetrife and buckwheat and soybean all flower through October and November in your area and can also provide some additional nectar and pollen. Now this all hinges on weather. Some years these flowers produce a lot and some not. Just keep and eye open and watch the bees. Are they coming in heavy, do they have pollen? Open up the hive. Do you see any nectar being stored? If you have some foundation on do you see new comb being produced? These are all good signs that the hive is finding a flow. And mathesonequip was right it all comes to a screeching halt at the first frost. Well the bees can usually find something but its about over at that point. The season is just too short!

I live near you and we gave a small goldenrod flow as suggested. I have new nucs making some wax.

Thanks for the infomation DJhoney.

I live whedre the piedmont ends and the mountains start. My bees are drawing comb again. i was worried one hive was queenless due to no progress on drawing and no grubs etc. Yesterdaysb check had grubs, and new comb with nectar in upper box.

the other hive has also been filling out frames a bit, and seriously capping others. I have a lot of partial comb andam hoping to have them done during fall.

we just finished our sourwood, or so i think, but asters are not in yet.