Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Incredibly aggressive bees

Yeah these guys are pissed. I'll give them plenty of time to calm down but if nothing happens I'll end up getting a new queen. These are some good genetics though, they've been handling the heat pretty well and have been growing like nobody's business. Where would I go and order a new queen btw? Is there a species that handles the heat better than others?

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdejong View Post
    Is there a species that handles the heat better than others?
    Sure is, the one you got.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Came back and the bees are great, time to themselves is the best thing for them I guess. Still, not going to risk going out there with them without a properly set up suit, I don't have 1/2 the balls that most of you beeks have that go out there in regular clothes.

Mission, Texas is within one hundred miles of Mexico. Mission is also a very moderate winter climate. It's citrus orchard friendly. He could easily have Africanized bees, and I have read a similar article to PeterLoringBorst's above post. The aggressiveness is spread by the drones.

Get a smoker and use it.

Not sure I agree with the part about aggressiveness being spread by drones. That has not been my experience.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

You did a deep inspection with no smoke and just a veil and only got two stings?

Also, you moved a full size hive (with alot of bouncing and shaking and jarring) and again got only two stings?

That sounds like a relatively docile hive to me.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Maybe a comparison would make some sense to me.

Take a look at the video made by Ernest Simeoni on African Beekeeping. At 10:45 you can see one of the beekeepers' glove.

Is that how aggressive your bees are?

Agressive bees make your gloves look like pincusions.

Watched the video. All I can say is wow.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Yes - my bees will chase your hands all over the place and head butt, but actual stings are few and far between. Those bees in the video would get very tiresome. I have only ever seen a few wild colonies like that in my area. They are actaully pretty rare here.

I actually can drive 10 minutes and be at the border of Mexico, its a lot closer than 100 miles actually! Africanized bees are a problem here I gotta say, I was talking to my "bee guy" and he has a business of taking down africanized hives here and also taking in swarms. The dude works 24/7, took me about a month to get a nuc from him because whenever we'd schedule a time for me to buy the nuc he'd end up having to go and clear a swarm or help someone who was having an africanized bee problem. Crazy stuff.

You did a deep inspection with no smoke and just a veil and only got two stings?

Also, you moved a full size hive (with alot of bouncing and shaking and jarring) and again got only two stings?

That sounds like a relatively docile hive to me.
    Sorry, I don't think I really explained what I was wearing too well. I wear one of those bee jackets (bee suits that dont include the pants) with a pair of jeans. I had around 20 stings on the jeans and only two of them got through (both right on the ass, a majority of the stings were right on my crotch, dirty little beestards.) The second inspection that I mentioned I wore two pairs of jeans and I'm yet to see the bees sting through that! But there were so many bees going for my legs that I got another two stings but this time through my socks, I taped the bottoms of my jeans up so no bees could get in there but they somehow were able to get two stings into the small opening between sock and shoe that I had. Bee stings on the foot SUCK.

Earlier I mentioned that my hive was a lot more relaxed, so today I went in at 10am when it was still cool (for my standards) and just gave it a little test, I opened the hive up (after smoking it) and another swarm of bees came after me. Maybe more than before, they were really after me. I got another load of stings on my jeans (I wore two pairs still, I might have thought they were relaxed but I'm still pretty scared of them.)

Anyway, I do live in a place where I don't think I'd want to have an aggressive, or maybe even africanized, hive. I think I want to requeen it. Is there any procedures that would make doing this easier considering that the hive is so aggressive? I haven't ever seen the queen, I never really focused on finding her whenever I was inspecting the hive and I'd always see new eggs so I wasn't really worried about her.

They didn't start out aggressive they were beat into it.

Sorry a lot of post in between. I was referring to this video.
    Last edited by Acebird; 08-19-2014 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added reference
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    They didn't start out aggressive they were beat into it.
    Bees aren't aggressive, Brian, they're defensive.

In AHB territory..."aggression" beat into them? I don't think so. If a DNA test was done on them I'd wager that they would test positive for African genes.

Ed

I had a hive that was ultra aggressive, so much so, I would wait until I was done with every other hive before I cracked this one!!! Even with smoke they were aggressive. I truly think it was from some Southern bees brought up to almond pollination as that is when this queen was made and mated, during almonds. Anyhow, I have since split that hive down hard and put cells in 3 of the splits from my queens, and let one split build its own, for experimentation purposes only!! I checked them Sunday to see how the splits were all doing and after seeing the queens were laying I decided to crack into the split that I let make their own queen..........as soon as I cracked the top they took to the air and were all up in my grill!! Even stung through my jeans!!! I found the virgin running around freshly hatched, and by the looks of it she is a killing machine as she killed at least 5 other virgins that had hatched normally, not one cell was chewed through the side!! I did find a frame with a queen cell that was piping and put that frame into the one split that didn't have a queen return and hopefully she will run that colony soon. Im hoping both virgins will mate with the local drone pool and only be half as aggressive!!

I really hated splitting the aggressive hive up as they are some really productive bees, they draw frames out like its no ones business and were packing the supers until I broke them up, I just don't like to tolerate over agro bees at all, I don't want the drones in the gene pool or graft daughters from them. I have a particular hive that has packed 3 mediums for me this year and this is after splitting pretty hard after almonds, and they are exceptionally calm. This hive will be my grafting hive after almonds next year!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

**** that sounds a lot like what I have. These guys are always eager to sting, I'd be mauled if I wasnt wearing a suit. My hive is also pretty productive lately too, loads of new comb and the population has sky rocketed. It wouldnt hurt to change out the stock I think, theres some really good genes you can buy online and 20 bucks isn't really much if it can potentially change the hives demeanor. I'm pretty sure, at the rate the hive is going at, that I'm going to inevitably split the hive, and I'd like it if I was splitting a hive that was less aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Bees aren't aggressive, Brian, they're defensive.
    Yes of course but those African beekeepers were banging around boxes for quite some time before they started going after the beekeepers. How did you like that extractor made out of wooden parts and for the most part it was foundationless just had wire supports.
    Brian Cardinal

I have split up really aggressive hives into sections with an excluder and smoke or bee-go'ed them up through an excluder to find queens before. It's a little hit or miss and kind of like using a sledge hammer to hit a nail though. You could also break it up into smaller units so you don't have to face them all at once.

You could remove bees 24/7 in my parts too. They are everywhere.

When my girls are a little testy, I spray a little cutter backwoods on my sleeves and gloves, they don't bother me as much. Also go out early evening, smoke um up, then do my thing, haven't been stung since using cutter. Scars on the wrist are going away from the stings.
    I too had mean bees, I also have better queens this also had an effect on the aggressive bees.
    Their more docile with the better queen.

I use DEET on boots, wrists and on my veil so I can see out if the bees are real aggressive. This year I had the most aggressive hive I have ever had and I have had some pretty testy ones. It was a calm docile hive from a new nuc that I bought last year but this Spring it morphed into a monster. The normal progression I have experienced in behavior is over several seasons (presumed supercedures). I can only presume a usurpation because of the rapid change. First time for me. I have used excluders to separate boxes when looking for queens and have considered fuming them down through an excluder but I am curious Paul on how you fume them up through an excluder.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast