Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Late Summer Swarm Trapping... any value? (Please read before responding!)

came back home from doing a little work in the outyard this morning to find a small swarm clustered at the top of one of my best hives. i'm not sure, but i think it came from the hive it is on and i assume that it is likely post-supercedure.

since they were right at the top of the box, i went inside and pulled an old brood frame that i had been keeping in the freezer for just an occasion, put it an empty five frame nuc box, stapled a q-tip with lemongrass oil and queen juice to the inside of the top cover, and set it on the hive.

in no time a large number of bees from the swarm were going in and out of the nuc box, but they failed to march right in like i thought they might.

after a while the swarm took flight and buzzed around and lit again in a tree about 20 feet away.

they are still many scouts coming and going from the nuc box, we'll see how it plays out.

i usually don't bother with these late small swarms but i didn't have anything better to do. if they end up in the nuc i'll go ahead and feed them and see if the queen is any good.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: Late Summer Swarm Trapping... any value? (Please read before responding!)

awesome. after regrouping in the tree the small swarm went back and is now entering the nuc box. i guess they got confused the first time around by the box being too close from where they were clustered. i know i have mentioned many times that i do not use artificial feeds, but this is one of the exceptions, perhaps the only one.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    I sit most of my catchers on plastic barrels. They work well. They are about 36 inches off the ground.

And, I mouse proof mine, and, leave them out all year. Check them in early Spring, and add lemon grass oil as needed.

Free bees are my favorite price.

cchoganjr
    Ditto...

That's how I roll...I just refreshed the LGO in the 5 Swarm Hotels I have out LOL

Snookie...Hope you catch a bunch.

I have caught fewer this year than most years. Not a lot of swarming here, so, fewer chances.

cchoganjr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12