Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help please - bees making honey too fast!

A great problem to have but I am out of gear and not quite ready to extract. I have a 2nd year hive that is 2 deep on the brood boxes and 3 medium supers that are all full of capped honey. Bee population is big. I am leaving town in the morning for 4 days. I can extract when I return but am I inviting trouble if I wait?

Default Re: help please - bees making honey too fast!

Possibly, let us know how things are when you return. Is there still a good flow going? They could start back-filling the brood boxes.

You will most likely be fine, though.

Ed

What crops are the bees making honey from?

If you had any spare frames you could pull some capped honey and checkerboard even a few empty frames might help reduce pressure. I am jealous of your problem

I was able to get some medium frames together and foundation and I did have a medium super. I was going to give that super to a first year hive. It's double deep and the top deep is 90% capped honey. But decided to give it to the hive in question. image.jpg

Haraga we are just coming off milkweed, alfalfa, clovers, basswood, corn and honey locust trees. This is my 2nd year and still learning that stuff. We just had the hardest winter in my life time but vegetation is the lushest I have ever seen. Just amazing.

Your opening post said you were out of gear and poof appears a medium super? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Your opening post said you were out of gear and poof appears a medium super? I don't get it.
    Makes perfect sense... I've got a couple hundred deep and medium frames, a couple boxes of foundation, and a stack of painted boxes... but if the frames aren't assembled and foundation wired in, then it's not ready... I'll be "out of gear". Poor planning? Yup. Fact of life? Yup. Why the confrontational post? Who the f*** cares? Far easier to just say "good work"!
    Beekeeping since 2009; currently running 20+ hives.

Quote Originally Posted by dtompsett View Post
    Makes perfect sense... I've got a couple hundred deep and medium frames, a couple boxes of foundation, and a stack of painted boxes... <snip> Why the confrontational post? Who the f*** cares? Far easier to just say "good work"!
    Well, I would imagine lots of us care being as we took the time to think about your post and reply to it only to find out you weren't exactly 100% upfront about your situation...that you *did* have resources on hand and it certainly doesn't take that long to put together ten frames. Your attitude and wonderful use of slang gutter language has definitely enhanced your standing with me, I'm sure others will make note, also. Your response to Haraga was much more confrontational than his remark.

Ed

ETA... To clairify... My response above was directed at the person quoted above, though at the time his wording caused me to think that he was the original poster. frankthomas, the OP, has been completely civil and non-confrontational in his postings.
    Last edited by Intheswamp; 08-01-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: clarification of who I was responding to...

Looks like ol frank came unglued.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Looks like ol frank came unglued.
    Haraga please relook at who is making which statements.

Your title said "help please". Well I hate to tell you this but you can't help the helpless.

Haraga and dtompsett,
    I, and a lot of other beekeepers here on the site, would appreciate a much more civil reply from you the next time you chime in.
    Frank, sounds like you have the situation under control for the time being. Extract ASAP and re install the wet supers.

Frank, You are making better use of that medium by putting it on the productive hive it gets filled that way. You can then later move it to the less productive developing hive.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomas View Post
    A great problem to have but I am out of gear and not quite ready to extract. I have a 2nd year hive that is 2 deep on the brood boxes and 3 medium supers that are all full of capped honey. Bee population is big. I am leaving town in the morning for 4 days. I can extract when I return but am I inviting trouble if I wait?
    This is one of the really exciting "problems" to have in beekeeping. It doesn't happen that often so you gotta be prepared when it does. We had about the same situation a few weeks ago (the "problem" has since gone away) with several thousand hives. Our solution? Well if you are set up to extract, then start pulling honey and extracting like crazy and get those boxes back on. The first day we started we actually pulled honey in the morning, leaving them with nary a super, extracted in the early afternoon and supered back in the late afternoon, oh yeah, one more job, we had to fill barrels the next morning. Ahhhhh. Problems, problems. .
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Thanks all for the input. Looks like I am extracting as soon as I get back.

Frank, it sounds like you've worked things out well. I wish that I had your problem. Though I was responding to someone else's post earlier, I feel that I wrongly directed it somewhat toward you. I apologize for any possible slight there, as you have been completely civil and non-confrontational in your postings.

Best wishes,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Frank, it sounds like you've worked things out well. I wish that I had your problem. Though I was responding to someone else's post earlier, I feel that I wrongly directed it somewhat toward you. I apologize for any possible slight there, as you have been completely civil and non-confrontational in your postings.

Best wishes,
    Ed
    Thank you Swamp. I appreciate your clarification. No apology needed.

I was able to extract a medium super and get that back on my bursting hive. They stuck around so it worked out.

"I am leaving town in the morning for 4 days. I can extract when I return but am I inviting trouble if I wait?"
    I would not have been particularly concerned at the moment.
    Aren't they supposed to be the ones feeding me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast