Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Doing a cutout this weekend

>climbing in and out of them at 15 feet or so

On a slipper ladder while being stung a lot is quite different... I don't do them that high anymore. It's just not worth the risk for some bees. Don't get me wrong, I like bees, but their "worth" isn't any more than a package which is about $100 in April. Probably not worth nearly as much in July... a trip to the emergency room will run a bit more than that...

>1st - Late to be doing cutouts, would the barn owner wait till spring

It is the cusp of what might succeed at this point. The flow is winding down and getting a hive to recover for winter is getting more iffy every day. Three weeks ago would have been much better timing...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >climbing in and out of them at 15 feet or so

On a slipper ladder while being stung a lot is quite different... I don't do them that high anymore. It's just not worth the risk for some bees. Don't get me wrong, I like bees, but their "worth" isn't any more than a package which is about $100 in April. Probably not worth nearly as much in July... a trip to the emergency room will run a bit more than that...

>1st - Late to be doing cutouts, would the barn owner wait till spring

It is the cusp of what might succeed at this point. The flow is winding down and getting a hive to recover for winter is getting more iffy every day. Three weeks ago would have been much better timing...
    I do understand that it's different when being stung. I'm planning running a line up and being tied off the whole way up/down the ladder after the first trip up just in case.

I am getting paid to do this, if I weren't, I wouldn't be doing it.

Well, the cut out was a bust. Once we got a close look se noticed there was no brood. The colony is somewhere inside the wall on the barn with no easy access from the inside. From the outside it's 20some feet up so we pulled out. The barn is set to come down I guess. They will call me back I think, but I'm guessing it will be too late in the year for that.

That's to bad....these cut-outs are never a sure thing. We turned down a 3 story soffet job not too long ago. Can't get em all I guess!

If the barn is getting torn down anyway, open the walls up with a chainsaw and get it done. Sounds like fun to me.
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    If the barn is getting torn down anyway, open the walls up with a chainsaw and get it done. Sounds like fun to me.
    They have someone taking the wood, so they don't want the "chainsawed" look.

It's also about 20-22' feet up on the outside of the barn. On the inside there was lots of structure to stand on/work from when we were up there, but that isn't the case from the outside.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12