Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Heat exchanger temp setting

That looks like a good project for this winter. I have a tub sitting underneath, but, as you know, wax bits everywhere!
    excellent idea Allen.

Do you remove the pan to empty, or always squeegee it out?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Really nice Allen. Make one for me.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Plugged up again today. There has to be something I'm missing...

I'm going to stop sending my burr comb through .

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Ia...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Last edited by Ian; 08-05-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Ian, maybe you want to send your burr comb thru an ice shaver. Not sure but it might be worth a cheap fix to try out.

I don't know Ian, I'm not convinced that with pressure and honey that what I am seeing won't pass on through. Are you scraping bottom bars? We don't too much. Unless it's wood or plastic or perhaps some big chunks of propolis seems like it should move on through. Wish we had a psi reading on the intake side to compare. We run all our burr comb through, I don't know why yours would be any different.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I don't know Ian,
    I appreciate your comments Jim. I have been speaking to other beekeepers, and many clean out everyday. We have been mixing the tank more frequently. Lots of wax this year, boxes coming in heavy.

That spinner is working flawlessly! I have saved so much time not skimming tanks, a little clean out at the heat exchanger is nothing LOL

This winter I'm building a cappings tank agitator. I have the paddle mixer from my old milk tank. Better mixed honey/wax is probably my issue.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I appreciate your comments Jim. I have been speaking to other beekeepers, and many clean out everyday. We have been mixing the tank more frequently. Lots of wax this year, boxes coming in heavy.

That spinner is working flawlessly! I have saved so much time not skimming tanks, a little clean out at the heat exchanger is nothing LOL

This winter I'm building a cappings tank agitator. I have the paddle mixer from my old milk tank. Better mixed honey/wax is probably my issue.
    Ditto on the agitator i need one also!!
    AKA BEEMAN800

Cleaning out the heat exchanger, we ran it for a whole week , the first week, very light boxes and not much wax, , but it was heavily plugged, now I clean it out every day and it is much easier to clean,lots of wire
    The Cowan auger works best when down to the last 3 inches of honey in the sump but quite often we are pumping air and wax and not much honey....not good for the myno to be pumping air
    Fellow beekeeper has a pressure gauge on his pump to tell him whats going on...cold honey and plugged heat exchanger

Since I first read Ian posts about this it has made me curious about just what is going on "up there" as I failed to make provisions for the pressure warning light when I ordered my pipe. We have been cleaning out once a week (100-120 drums) for the past two years but checked midweek to compare it to Ian's recently posted photo. Mine certainly appeared pretty well plugged with close to half the holes actually blocked with small sticks and the remainder covered with a hard layer of wax. My conclusion is that with the 3" moyno and all stainless steel piping going in that I have probably been building up some pretty high pressure readings without realizing it but that the sheer power of the pump was still able to push wax and honey through. Pat mentioned to me that they put the alarm on because they had a few actually rupture from the high pressure. I think I will be checking a bit more often myself.

We have been cutting LOTs of wax this pull... I have the guys clean it out at noon and after work everyday. It probably is a bit excessive but might as well clean it out before the alarm goes off and interferes with the work of the day. My problem is too much wax and I am not getting it mixed well enough into my honey. This winter Im building a mixer out of a SS milk mixer I have laying around.

I know the older heat exchange models have a rotary blade that works on the honey inlet. Why was this discontinued? Did it not work? SOunds to me it would solve my problem...
    www.stepplerfarms.com

My experience is very dated, from the late 60' and early 70's, but we NEVER stopped to clean anything out until the end of the season. Granted, we where closer to 30-40 drums a week. I do not believe we heated the honey much more than 100 deg F. My only explanation is that we did a better job of mixing. The tank had a round bottom and horizontal shaft, which had angled paddles that looked like curved top "T"s attached to it. I believe there was a float switch that turned on the Moyno when needed. Yes, we would fish out any sticks that floated between pump operation. We did NOT use the water spray.

I hope all of you issue hearing protection to those in the extracting room.

Crazy Roland

my machine is whisper quiet, you cant hear it run, just the grinding every once and awhile as it cuts wax
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Age old problem, too much wax ,and or ,wax not getting mixed or into fine particles to go thru heat exchanger
    The older rotary blade with slip clutch quite often needed to to be adjusted , only cleaned mine out at the season end...a annoyance to stop and fix,to me its all about production or getting her done, don't need little distractions ...a smooth flow of honey ,wax,boxes ,drums,thru the honeyhouse

Ian wrote:

my machine is whisper quiet, you cant hear it run,

Great!!! glad they fixed that.

Crazy Roland

We have been cleaning the heat exchanger noon and at clean up. Takes us 5 min.
    The other thing I will be scheduling is weekly pulling the spinner drum. I'm 100 drums into my pull and the spinner started spitting out wet wax. So I pulled it this evening and she was caked with granulated honey. This canola sure hardens fast.

why in the heck do they have us make a insert to pull the drum... ? You would think they would send something smart looking along with the spinner, because regular maintenance requires that drum to be pulled... just a thought.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian, mostly we just squeegee the wax into a bin and then dump it into a barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim, unfortunately all of my ideas cost me shop rate. If I was handy I would gladly make you one.

Ian, I find it interesting how often you need to clean out the heat exchanger. I didn't know I had to. I have never done so in five years.

I was starting to get some wetter wax today as well, but I hate cleaning the drum and will try to push off cleaning the drum for a bit if I can. I backed the knife back to an inch and ran the honey in at about 107 for a bit. Then I slowing worked my way back to 7/8 of an inch. Did the trick for now. Hopefully I can push the cleaning off for a bit longer.

Another thing I do every morning before I close the dump valves is poke a nail through the dump holes to make sure they are clean. Before I did this it seemed they would shut with canola honey at times.

Love this machine! Over the last week we have learnt a lot about how to operate it.
    We had a power surge last week and my guys did not trip the valves fast enough... first dump of honey on the floor. Lesson learnt the hard way.
    I can see why it is so important to keep the drum free of granulated honey. The bottom edge was caked with a hard layer of granulaton which was restricting the fluid movement of honey through the baffle. No granulation in the wax layer other than a hardened rim of wax along the bottom edge of the drum.

Im going to make an attachment to fit my forklift which will allow me to tilt the drum upwards and help with clean up. If I can pull the drum easier I will be able to clean it more frequently.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    We have been cleaning the heat exchanger noon and at clean up. Takes us 5 min.
    The other thing I will be scheduling is weekly pulling the spinner drum. I'm 100 drums into my pull and the spinner started spitting out wet wax. So I pulled it this evening and she was caked with granulated honey. This canola sure hardens fast.

why in the heck do they have us make a insert to pull the drum... ? You would think they would send something smart looking along with the spinner, because regular maintenance requires that drum to be pulled... just a thought.
    They do sell 3 different drum puller attachments though they would be pretty ways to make.
    http://cooknbeals.com/separator.php

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast