Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Heat exchanger temp setting

Jim thanks for the reply. I am still getting my honey house squared away. It makes sense now about letting some honey in and then allowing it to run for a bit before running more honey into it. Does anyone keep heat on the sping float itself? I have a friend in Oklahoma that doesn't use a heat exchanger before the spin float. The honey is warm enough there he just doesn't need it.

I have heard of some folks not using water at all. I will have to wait and see what I determine I need to do when I buy a spin float. This year I bought a gunness 200 from a friend. That will probably due for the annual honey house upgrades.

i have run it with out water many times and still works. Yes the water is a bit excessive but we have a floor drain about 3 feet down grade from the separator so any water seeps out of the wax pile and into the drain. running with out water you run the risk of the blades grabbing a large chunk of wax and then you will go out of balance more often. Also the water in the wax is no problem for us because we shovel the cappings into the wax melter instantly. If you store the wet cappings you could get fermentation.
    As for cleaning the drum I do it before we start for the season and thats it. Unless i need to for some reason.

Do the spin floats get out of balance often? How bad does it get when they are out of balance? Do they settle back into balance quickly?

I added a selinoid onto the water system as Jim suggested. Seems to be the perfect solution as the amount of water flow seems excessive to me. My neighbour never uses his water
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

The simple answer is probably the correct one. It came from the factory like that 10 years ago and has pushed millions of pounds of honey through it. I just kept turning the dial until my honey output was 100 and never touched it again.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpdog View Post
    I don't have a honey exchanger, but I suspect one of two causes. Either the dial is out of calibration (likely a set screw holds it in place), or the dial controls the heat medium outlet temp, and you are monitoring the medium inlet temp. Likely the dial is out.

Or i suppose the temperature indicator could be out of cal, but i doubt it unless it was wrapped past full scale.

We ran a mock run this afternoon to get the kinks out of the extraction machinery. We ran through 4 pallets about 5 barrels worth.

That Spin Float seperator is my new favorite thing. Wow does that machine ever work! Clean clean honey in my tank, and powder cappings (besides the moisture from the water jet). Great tip on the water solenoid Jim. I could manually apply the water but this way there is not a thought put towards it during operation.

I have a few questions about the operation of the machine;

1. Lots of foam in my spinner sump, none in my holding tank. is the foam in the spinner sump normal?

2. My heat exchanger has the clean out cap and the hose pressure alarm. Through 4 pallets and the alarm sounded, opened the cap and she was plugged right full of wax. Do you guys clean out the machine more than once per day? How do you guys handle all the wax. Remember, I'm Canadian prairie beekeeping here, lots of wax.
    My collection sump does not have an agitator other than the auger itself. Do I need to install an agitator?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    We ran a mock run this afternoon to get the kinks out of the extraction machinery. We ran through 4 pallets about 5 barrels worth.

That Spin Float seperator is my new favorite thing. Wow does that machine ever work! Clean clean honey in my tank, and powder cappings (besides the moisture from the water jet). Great tip on the water solenoid Jim. I could manually apply the water but this way there is not a thought put towards it during operation.

I have a few questions about the operation of the machine;

1. Lots of foam in my spinner sump, none in my holding tank. is the foam in the spinner sump normal?

2. My heat exchanger has the clean out cap and the hose pressure alarm. Through 4 pallets and the alarm sounded, opened the cap and she was plugged right full of wax. Do you guys clean out the machine more than once per day? How do you guys handle all the wax. Remember, I'm Canadian prairie beekeeping here, lots of wax.
    My collection sump does not have an agitator other than the auger itself. Do I need to install an agitator?
    Yup, the foam is normal.
    I have a pretty large sump and just stir it good with a hoe each morning.
    Wax plugging in the intake of the heat exchanger? I don't have an answer. You are mixing your extractor honey with your cappings I presume. I clean mine out weekly (100+ drums) and have never seen it more than about half plugged, usually with small sticks and an occasional piece of plastic foundation. Are you running many chunks of hard dark comb through? I actually don't have my alarm hooked up.....don't ask, my screwup. The first few days I was kind of paranoid it would blow up so I checked it daily.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I'm going to be checking mine daily. Perhaps the bridge comb was being sent through. A hoe is a good idea, that would make a perfect wax mixer.
    No hard dark comb in my honey supers, you should see the amount of comb I have built out over the last few years
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I would slave after every day, and at the end of every week skimming wax off the sump, and out of the tanks... and spin it out in my old drum spinner, which got most of the honey out.

Watching the first flakes of wax fall out of the spinner, and watch clean honey pump into the tank, was one of my more satisfying feelings since I started keeping bees!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm going to be checking mine daily. Perhaps the bridge comb was being sent through. A hoe is a good idea, that would make a perfect wax mixer.
    No hard dark comb in my honey supers, you should see the amount of comb I have built out over the last few years
    That sure sounds odd to me. Even a moyno isn't going to pump excessively dry wax, are you drawing from pretty near the bottom? Any chance the alarm setting is faulty and what you were seeing is normal? Your right, though. No longer than it takes to pop that cap off its a pretty good practice to do daily, at least until you learn more about what to expect.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

She was plugged, no doubt about that.

Do you send your bridge/ burr comb through?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

We run everything through except some box and lid scrapings that we throw directly in the wax barrel. We still have some dura gilt frames in our operation. I worry about that but so far have never gotten any of it up into the heat exchanger. Our floor sump is quite visible to the extractor operator and we often spot small floating chunks of wood and pull them out before they have a chance to get sucked in the pump.

Sounds like you should buy cook n beals uncapper. All the wax is pulverized.

Jim

IS THE SOLENOID VALE HOOKED INTO THE PUMP FEEDING THE heat exchanger???

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    Jim

IS THE SOLENOID VALE HOOKED INTO THE PUMP FEEDING THE heat exchanger???

Thank you
    Yes, the kind used on any refrigerator with an ice maker.

I had my electrician hook mine to the spinner pump switch. Less wiring
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Would there be any merit in sending all wax honey thru an ice grinder/shaver prior to heat exchange and spinner to ensure its broken into small enough pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Would there be any merit in sending all wax honey thru an ice grinder/shaver prior to heat exchange and spinner to ensure its broken into small enough pieces?
    Most folks (including us) are using a Cowen uncapper into an auger and not having any problems. If you have slotted blades on your cutter it is, essentially, cutting it into ribbon sized slices, then the auger chops them up some more and the moyno pump a bit more. None of this should matter much if there is plenty of honey in the mix.

I don't have a quick clean out cap on my heat exchanger and in 5 years have never opened the end. I had to fish out a wire from the bottom intake hole a couple of years ago but that is as close as I have come to opening the end. Plugged up seems kind of strange to me. I drain most of the honey out of the intake if I am not extracting for a couple of days and get some wax coming out, nothing to indicate it is plugged.

After a lot of frustration with wax collection on the spin float we modified the wax pan. We turned the holes to the back and changed the slope so the water drained back. We modified the front so the wax can easily be pulled out - we use a window squeegee. We also added some wax deflectors on the sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast