Default Something i havent seen before.

Went to check the last trap and found a pile of bees in front of the trap on the ground. They were under siege from fire ants and were pretty ticked off. Quick run to get suited up and scooped as many bees as we could into another box and by poking around and watching the last few bees on the ground found a little comb and what I'm assuming is a dead queen. She's in pretty rough shape but the bees were guarding her. The branch directly above the bees had he remnants of comb on it.
    We couldn't figure out why they would build comb out there but not in the trap.
    Opened the trap and found mouse damage. I have been using lemon grass oil on a piece of paper towel tucked in a plastic baggie.
    The towel was shredded and piled in the corner. The remnants of a paper wasp nest were also there. Wasp nest looked old and chewed but the mouse damage was recent.
    I think the bees fought off the small wasp nest but didn't have te strength or numbers to clear out a mouse so they jumped to the nearest branch and started making comb. The something knocked the comb out of the tree and killed their new queen in the process.

Default Re: Something i havent seen before.

How often do you check your traps?

Weekly.

Looking at my picture and I realize my mistake. The way its set in the tree may be the reason I have mice getting in. That little landing board swings up to close off the entrance, but it also acts like a little runway for mice.
    I think i will add some screen or move the entrance to the top.