Default Mendocino county planting for my bees.

I am a wet behind the ears beek looking for some advice on planting forage for the mid summer dearth. A little back round info on my operation. I removed hives from old ranch buildings and trees (survivors) some had been in the same buildings for over 60 years. I only took half the hives from the buildings. I am treatment free with 20 hives. I have already planted 70 fruit trees, berries, and a monster garden.

This time of year I have only seen the bees on oregano, and yellow butterfly bush.

Any advice on what to plant for mid summer.

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Mendocino county planting for my bees.

Lavender is good. The bees love it, the honey is premium, and many varieties bloom through the summer. I suggest Grosso and Munstead lavender for a late bloom. I have planted over 1,000 lavender bushes, and this easily keeps 20 hives entertained.

Borage keeps the honeybees on them throughtout the summer. Also cilantro is very attractive to honeybees. My man is to spread the cilantro seeds on the side of the roads. They come up in late winter where I live in the northeast.

You can try Canola for a quick harvest. The bees seem to like them too. I saw them hauling in
    the pollen but not sure how much nectar from them.
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

My mint is in bloom right now. Sunflowers are an option also.