Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: How can I make hive boxes that are perfectly stackable-a necessary requirement.

When I was doing rough carpentry, the old carpenter, who I learned a lot of wisdom from, used to say, "We aren't building pianos..." It's the same with bee hives...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Re: How can I make hive boxes that are perfectly stackable-a necessary requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    I know the bees don't give a rip about frames boxes that rock. but the bees will fill the gaps with boatloads of propolis. and that sucks.
    Actually, I prefer it. I live in SHB territory and my bees use propolis extensively. If the boxes are gapped a bit (rocking) that gives me a place to force my hive tool into to break the boxes apart. They are going to be stuck together anyway, having a nice pry point makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    you are missing my point, if I even have one....it is worth doing it is worth doing and gleening some satisfaction from your work. I love my IBOX, it make beautiful box /finger joints. Now you are hedgeing on the ridiculous with handcut dovetails-HAHA-I guess.....playing in my workshop is plenty fun for me!!
    Actually I'm pretty sure I do get your point. Sometimes I do woodwork for the sake of making something which is an expression of craftsmanship - usually gifts for my family which I hope will be handed down as heirlooms - painstakenly made with all of the skill I can muster. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of that.

Woodenware just isn't that for me - I have no problem with anyone else seeing it however they want to though.

Hand cut dovetails are not rediculous though. Once you learn to do them you can make beautiful, unique and very strong joints pretty quickly.

I actually have some bee boxes with router cut dovetail joints - very strong. But I only did them because I already had the jig set up.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345