Sad How Do You Keep Brood Alive During Cutout and After Installing in Frames?

I want to build up my hive count trough cutouts, but how do you keep the brood comb alive during and after the cutout? I tried once and it failed. Please help!

Default Re: How Do You Keep Brood Alive During Cutout and After Installing in Frames?

I let the bees cover them, once I get comb rubber banded into a frame I stick it in a box, when I pull the next comb out I brush the bees off into the box the older bees will take to the air, the nurse bees will stay in the box with the brood, once I have them all in the box I leave it near their old entrance untill night and then close them up and transport. Not sure if its the best way as I only have 2 cutouts under my belt

Default Re: How Do You Keep Brood Alive During Cutout and After Installing in Frames?

Craig - How long ago did you do the cutout? Did the brood live and hatch out? Did the bees fill in around your rubber bands? Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    I let the bees cover them, once I get comb rubber banded into a frame I stick it in a box, when I pull the next comb out I brush the bees off into the box the older bees will take to the air, the nurse bees will stay in the box with the brood, once I have them all in the box I leave it near their old entrance untill night and then close them up and transport. Not sure if its the best way as I only have 2 cutouts under my belt

Craig - How long ago did you do the cutout? Did the brood live and hatch out? Did the bees fill in around your rubber bands? Thanks for your reply.

During the cutout they will be fine on their own if it is warm enough. I will wait until it gets 60 or better before removal.
    They way my vac is designed, (when I'm finished with the removal), I immediately place the new cutout hive with banded brood above the vac and re introduce the bees to the brood.Bees will attache the comb to the frames and chew off the rubber bands and pull them out the front of the hive.