Default Difficulty in isolating where exactly a swarm/colony is inside old farmhouse ceiling

I have been helping a man get rid of Bee’s since June. Before I started I placed two swarm traps on his property, one on each side of the house. There is a commercial producer about ¼ mile away.
    I did a large cutout for him on his old Farmhouse. He was very happy to get rid of the Bee’s until two weeks ago when a swarm moved into his house, bypassing my starter nuc swarm box by 15 feet. It was a small swarm, so I vacuumed them out.
    This past Monday his daughter called saying once again that Bees were everywhere. I arrived to find a very busy starter nuc that obviously caught a swarm. I was, however, also dismayed to see another set of bee’s had also moved into his house where I did the 2nd cut out a week prior.
    This is where I need some help. From the outside we have the back of the inside living room wall exposed. You can see the plaster and lathe. The entrance is in a top corner at a large support beam, where I thought they nestled into the adjoining outside wall, but that is not the case. They are neither above or below the beam in either wall. Where they are entering and exiting is at his ceiling height inside the living room. The plaster lathe ceiling is rock solid, and with stethoscopes I cannot perfectly locate where they are in his ceiling. On the second floor I also listened with no results through a hardwood floor.
    It is a somewhat average size set of bees, but he wants them out. There were bees last year using this side of the house, so I suspect a series of comb inside the house exists. I do not want to start cutting plaster and lathe without being certain of the cavity they are in. Any suggestions? I thought about drilling 3/8 test holes to see if I could locate them that way. Maybe purchasing a more expensive stethoscope perhaps? What would you do?

Default Re: Difficulty in isolating where exactly a swarm/colony is inside old farmhouse ceil

I've done a couple of cutouts, and have found that they started at the highest point.
    so look higher at the main rafter support in that wall.
    good luck and have fun

Default Re: Difficulty in isolating where exactly a swarm/colony is inside old farmhouse ceil

DownloadedFile.jpeg

Laser thermometer..... 40.00 or so. This will pinpoint the center of the hive. The heat will increase about 3-4 degrees from the surrounding surface. I wouldn't do a removal without it.

I read this thread and was going to suggest exactly what mister beeman said. try harbor freight tools, or if you want to burn money for nothing try a snap-on truck.

Harbor Freight Tools, how ironic. I go by this everyday. I just looked at the building the other day and said to myself that I need to go in there. I see they have one at $35, looks like I will be picking one up. Cheers