Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bees

Default Re: New Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    At first glance this seems reasonable...until I thought about it for a bit. All the classes and meetings and discussions and youtube videos in the world do not a beekeeper make. Getting your hands inside that hive week after week and season after season is what makes a beekeeper. Watching YOUR OWN bees year in and year out is what makes a beekeeper. Learning the cycle of your own bee yard--what blooms, when it blooms, what they actually work--makes a beekeeper.

I've been at this for over 20 years and, yes, I have some books. I research. But I've never taken a class or belonged to a club. It's not a social activity to me. But I know MY bees. Not somebody else's. Just mine. When I do something, I know WHY I am doing it or I don't do it at all.

TIME is what makes a beekeeper. Time and curiosity.

JMO

Rusty

edited to add: making your own mistakes and then getting yourself out of the mess you just created is a BIG part of what makes a beekeeper. If you don't allow yourself some mistakes, how will you ever learn anything?
    Speaking from my own experience, which isn't much, I took to reading and, yes, classes, getting to know and talk with other local Beekeepers. We just started a club, very informal, just to brain storm and talk bees....sharing our experiences and mistakes and experiments with other Beekeepers is great, we actually go to each other's bee yards and watch and help. We have treatment free beeks who follow Michael Bush and beeks who are farmers and treat bees as such.I do think you need it all, for the reason that everyone has their own way of doing things and you can't have too much information when it comes to beekeeping. We all figure it out eventually....

Last edited by Southwings; 07-28-2014 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Topic

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpherson View Post
    This is funny. I'm new to this but didn't even know it was a fad.
    Me too. I'd always kind of thought about bees, but we weren't allowed to have bees where we lived before. But buying a chunk of farmland opened up new possibilities. I hadn't planned to add bees this year, but life threw some awful curveballs which messed up the plans, so I added them this year. I've enjoyed it, especially making up and messing with nucs.
    Newbee with three hives and two nucs, zone 6b

I think the large interest in bees is nothing new. Before Varroa Distructor came in country and smashed the majority of hobbyists, there were more bees in the country than now. This is as much a return to the norm as a fad. But we shall see how many stay with it----and chickens. I don't see ostriches and emus anymore and the lamas are mostly refugees on pensions not being allowed to reproduce.

Ha ha... ostriches and emus. How much work are Alpacas? Do they get Varroa mites?
    Zone 7a

Didn't know about the fad. Just something I've always wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    margot1d... I will let you in on a secret, some of what bees get into is not flowers and sweet stuff from trees. In new York city you have lots and lots of other stuff.
    like what, soda pop?
    3 years-5 hives-T
    brooklyn-queen.com

I am a first year beekeeper. Does that make me a "fad"? I am learning every day, and depend upon Besource for all my education. I love it and expect that I will eventually become a true beek.

The only YouTube video I am qualified to make is to demonstrate EVERY mistake one can possibly make!

Quote Originally Posted by Margot1d View Post
    like what, soda pop?
    whatever is in a dumpster or ozzeing out with some sort of sugar in it. if there is no pollen for protien, then in a pinch something dead. real dead and ozzeing.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpherson View Post
    This is funny. I'm new to this but didn't even know it was a fad.
    Roger that. I thought it would mesh with our farming operation well and give me something to do after I retired from my primary job.

whatever is in a dumpster or ozzeing out with some sort of sugar in it. if there is no pollen for protien, then in a pinch something dead. real dead and ozzeing.
    Sounds like you are trying to end the nyc experiment .......................G

.............G

I think people are calling it a fad because 20 years ago if you went to a beekeeper meeting they were mostly men over 50 and had been doing it their whole lives. Now there are more women than men, more young than old and the numbers have skyrocketed. Some of those will stay with it though. Beekeeping is very addicting...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Can't wait to tell the lads at the club I'm the first to be a beekeeper. Now can you tell me how to get these bugs into this box?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I think people are calling it a fad because 20 years ago if you went to a beekeeper meeting they were mostly men over 50 and had been doing it their whole lives. Now there are more women than men, more young than old and the numbers have skyrocketed. Some of those will stay with it though. Beekeeping is very addicting...
    One thing for sure. M.Bush hit the nail on the head, it is very addicting. I think it is in the long run those who find that out once they get a couple hives, they are here to stay, those who dont get that feeling will be gone with the swarms. G

Smile Re: New Bees

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    Sounds like you are trying to end the nyc experiment .......................G
    I support the nyc experiment. I also support the concept of reality. the bees are real good at purifying stuff. quite amazing actualy.

I support the nyc experiment. I also support the concept of reality. the bees are real good at purifying stuff. quite amazing actualy.
    Totally off topic but I can't resist. How are they at purifying pesticides in agricultural areas? Chlorine in swimming pools? Chemilawns? No dead animals in the country? MD
    3 years-5 hives-T
    brooklyn-queen.com

I suppose that some people continue their cheery speculations about urban honey and bees with their non beekeeping friends and consumers who know as much about bees as they do.

chlorine does not seem to bother bees they might actually like it. and you are right lots of undesireable stuff out there everywhere.