Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another typical foundationless disaster

Look at all of this mixed worker/drone brood and horrible cross-combing. These bees obviously have no clue what they're doing.

Default Re: Another typical foundationless disaster

I'll take all of those stupid bees off your hands, especially the queens!
    TxBeek. KTBHs. Victoria, Tx. along the Gulf coast. Zone 9b.
    Treatment free bees from traps and cutouts.

Look to me - great brood!
    Серёжа, Sergey

I think I would give that hive away and see if you can start one that is a bit more of a challenge. What's the fun in perfection?

Cut it off and make em start over. you might try hanging the page from the book with the picture in their hive.

Nice looking bar.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Nice even age brood. From the wax color, this looks to be the first cohort of brood on the comb.
    What is the cell gauge ?

So pretty! It looks like you're using a longer bar, maybe 19" with a 10" depth? I'm thinking of changing the dimensions of my next one.
    1 TBH, started 4/09/14

Nice looking bar. I have been transitioning to FL this year, I use langs. I have only had one instance of crosscombing, other than that I am more than happy. I dont see foundation in my future. GCopy of DSC04700.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Nice even age brood. From the wax color, this looks to be the first cohort of brood on the comb.
    What is the cell gauge ?
    Have not measured, this was a swarm we captured in early June, so this bar (when not fully built) probably had a small portion of brood already through it. But they're getting into their second big "hatch" so you are probably correct for the most part. They came from a few year old colony in a tree. I do want to compare cell size between our packages and our swarms at some point this year. Just for the heck of it.

Quote Originally Posted by msscha View Post
    So pretty! It looks like you're using a longer bar, maybe 19" with a 10" depth? I'm thinking of changing the dimensions of my next one.
    Bar is 20" long 18" inside dimension with modified Les Crowder design. It is only about 7" deep or so.

I have transfered a couple of swarms from top bar nucs into deep Langs, they're building them out to depth well. Still just minor pinching on the ends of the comb every couple weeks seems to be all it takes. And a couple hives not even that.

Nice.
    I'm a fan too. The latest frames I've put into the hives have no bottom bar(lang deeps)... will see what happens .
    It's so easy to make them, you can even make them on the fly while inspecting: ups I need a frame give me 5 minutes . (3 straight wood bars, 2 spacers and that's it;32 mm frame spacing). I usually put them in the middle of the brood nest so I don't get much drone comb.
    Dfa (Humid continental warm summer climate)

Quote Originally Posted by cristianNiculae View Post
    Nice.
    I'm a fan too. The latest frames I've put into the hives have no bottom bar(lang deeps)... will see what happens .
    It's so easy to make them, you can even make them on the fly while inspecting: ups I need a frame give me 5 minutes . (3 straight wood bars, 2 spacers and that's it;32 mm frame spacing). I usually put them in the middle of the brood nest so I don't get much drone comb.
    agree w/ the rest...i would pour gas on the hive and throw a match on it and start over...this hive is a goner!

Zone4A
    “We can love completely what we cannot completely understand.” -Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    Nice looking bar. I have been transitioning to FL this year, I use langs. I have only had one instance of crosscombing, other than that I am more than happy. I dont see foundation in my future. GCopy of DSC04700.jpg
    I've put a couple of swarms we caught this spring from top bar nucs into 10 frame deep Langs. They're building them out nicely, this is a picture from a week or so ago.

IMG_20140719_143503_409.jpg

I will admit that it was not all roses in all the hives, but three (two Carniolan one "feral" swarm) of the four TBHs have drawn great comb. The Italian hive has not done all that well. Mostly due to untimely spacing of the broodnest by me. Spaced towards the end of supercedure with a very good flow going. They built the honey bands on tops of the bars around the spaced parts out really wide. I did the same thing to one of the Carniolan hives and they did not do anything like that.

So we went in and fixed those problems on Saturday:
    honey.jpg
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 07-28-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Ha! Fixed them indeed! Lovely jars of honey. Is it tasty? Are you pleased?

I wonder if we'll get any honey out of our hives next year. I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by estreya View Post
    Ha! Fixed them indeed! Lovely jars of honey. Is it tasty? Are you pleased?

I wonder if we'll get any honey out of our hives next year. I hope so!
    This is a first year hive, but we simply couldn't leave it the way it was. We didn't even take 1/10th of what they've got I don't think, and we only took cappings from really thick combs and some smaller areas of goofed up stuff. Flow appears to still be going OK here. Could have used a bit of rain to refresh some of the stuff, but it's been good, I think.

"We didn't even take 1/10th of what they've got, I don't think"
    ... and, I never do. If you take what is simply very clearly a surplus, and leave a generous supply for them to more-than last through the winter, you can enjoy season upon season of beekeeping, with, really, very little effort. You'll have more than enough truly-delicious honey for your morning-muffins, and for your friends. You'll be surprised at how early they (the bees, that is, not your friends ...) start harvesting, come the earliest signs of spring. When the very-first flowers and clovers start to appear, "there they are."

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    What is the cell gauge ?
    This is not the same exact swarm, but from a swarm caught two days earlier on the exact same fence post. I did not have assistance last night, so I only pulled the one frame that I spaced the broodnest with weeks ago and there was a flow going. Cells look like they are about 5.4mm? Next time I have some help I'm going to do some more looking around/measuring, just out of curiosity. Truthfully, I don't care much. What's interesting to me is how small 4.9mm cells must look.

IMG_20140819_163253_400.jpg

IMG_20140819_163311_190.jpg

Uh oh, I hope your wife doesn't see that photo! I saw one of those funny looking rulers on my wife's sewing machine. She told me to keep walkin'.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    Uh oh, I hope your wife doesn't see that photo! I saw one of those funny looking rulers on my wife's sewing machine. She told me to keep walkin'.
    and i bet you kept steppin...G....

Yes the cells are 5.4. People usually measure a few different places & different angles to get a kind of average although just by eyeball, looks like most of the comb is similar.

My bees tend to build around 5.3 if making their own comb.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast