Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: speed controller for a 1/2 hp Dayton ???

>For a moment there - when you opened with "networking", I wondered if you were going to talk about assigning a static IP address (vs dynamic IP) so you could talk to the PLC as a network device in order to program it.

With all the talk in the computer industry about the interenet of things, I'm surprised someone doesn't have an extractor that measures how much it's extracted, tells you when it's done with that batch, maybe even calls your cell in case you fell asleep at the wheel... etc. etc. etc....
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >I'm surprised someone doesn't have an extractor that measures how much it's extracted, tells you when it's done with that batch, maybe even calls your cell in case you fell asleep at the wheel... etc. etc. etc....
    It's not an extractor, but I do this every day at work. One of the systems here texts my phone every batch it completes with all the relevant data, so I know what is going on. Pretty cool
    Jason Wolthuis '13, z5b, ~20 hives. KTBH's and Langs. TF
    Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    With all the talk in the computer industry about the interenet of things, I'm surprised someone doesn't have an extractor that measures how much it's extracted, tells you when it's done with that batch, maybe even calls your cell in case you fell asleep at the wheel... etc. etc. etc....
    Mike it is only a question of how much can you afford.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Radar, you are right about the model I bought. The motor that came w/the extractor did not "go bad" It was just too small for the extractor. 2 hours to extract SOME of the honey. I am waiting for a friend to help me install the new one.....& btw I have a "Little Wonder" hand crank that is going to get modified for the .13hp motor that came off the larger extractor. I need to find a gearwheel to adapt to the .13hp unit & make a mounting plate.

I can't believe the dearth of info on converting a hand crank to electric!! lots of threads, not much in the way of useful links/info. folks, I need click by click instructions & lots of pics....I AM NOT SLOW....ok, maybe a little.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    btw I have a "Little Wonder" hand crank that is going to get modified for the .13hp motor that came off the larger extractor.
    The thing is your cheapest way out would have been to install a transmission or variable speed pulley system using that .13hp motor even though it would not be a conventional solution.
    Brian Cardinal

My version of "the cheapest way out" is to install a DC motor with variable speed controls already wired to the motor, salvaged from a free treadmill*.

If you are careful about the way you disassemble the treadmill, and carefully document any wire that you cut to get it all apart, you can reassemble it as a variable speed extractor motor without needing an electrician. The most difficult part of this kind of conversion is mechanical, not electrical.

*(To do this, you need a treadmill with a knob that changes motor speed electrically. Some treadmills have an AC induction motor with constant speed and a mechanical variable speed control instead of a DC motor. Save that for a different project and look for a treadmill with electrical speed control. )

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 08-10-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: add more
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

That might be where the .13hp motor and drive came from.
    Brian Cardinal

I need to find a gearwheel to adapt to the .13hp unit & make a mounting plate.

any links to a site for gear parts. I believe it to be a 1/2" shaft.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Some smaller extractors seem to use worm gears, like the ones shown in this Brushy Mtn instruction/part list:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...eHandExtra.pdf

If that is similar to what you have in mind, you may need to acquire a both sides of the worm drive as a matching pair.

Boston Gear could very well have what you need, but matching what you have could be a challenge: http://www.bostongear.com/index.asp
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Rader - Good idea, treadmill motor with control.

try Reid supply.

crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    I believe it to be a 1/2" shaft.
    I am assuming you are going to mount to the hand crank shaft. McMasters
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belt-pulleys/=t8dscq

A guard would be appropriate.
    Brian Cardinal

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234