Question Cleaning Bee Suits & Veils....

Here's a question I've never seen asked.... OK, I didn't know where to put this questions so I put it here....

My "extra" or "guest" bee suit has a hat and veil that unzips right off (not a hard hat, it's heavy cloth). So, it's a 2-piece jacket and veil.

Over the winter, the suit got a little damp and got dark stains on the jacket and some stains and looks like mold on the veil and hat. I took the veil/hat off and washed the suit (jacket) in the laundry with regular clothing detergent and some bleach. Jacket came out great with a couple very small stains remaining.

The veil/hat on the other hand.... I was afraid to put it in the wash because I thought it would destroy the veil part. So, what is the best way to wash the veil/hat and get rid of the stains and maybe a little mold without damaging the veil or the form/shape of the hat part?

Bob
    Maine Busy Bee Apiary & Family Farm
    Jay, Maine

Default Re: Cleaning Bee Suits & Veils....

I've got a GB jacket and what I've done is handwash the veil with Woolite (or some other "handwash" detergent). I let it soak for a long while and did two "wash cycles" on it and then rinses really good. It came out looking great compared to what it looked like beforehand! My wife has a small bag made of "net" material that has a zipper on it that she washes "delicates" in...I'm not sure if it's big enough to put a veil in, though. One day when I feel like living dangerously and when she's not looking I might try it.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    I've got a GB jacket and what I've done is handwash the veil with Woolite (or some other "handwash" detergent). I let it soak for a long while and did two "wash cycles" on it and then rinses really good. It came out looking great compared to what it looked like beforehand! My wife has a small bag made of "net" material that has a zipper on it that she washes "delicates" in...I'm not sure if it's big enough to put a veil in, though. One day when I feel like living dangerously and when she's not looking I might try it.

Ed
    Thanks Ed! I'll try that! Just don't my to we staring at those stains/mold spots through the veil! LOL!

Thanks!
    Maine Busy Bee Apiary & Family Farm
    Jay, Maine

Bob,

Of course I'm sure that it depends on quality, but i have washed my jacket with veil un-zipped and separate many time in the washing machine with just detergent type soap. My jacket-veil gets pretty sweaty pretty fast. The veil and jacket has held up well.

Steve

I have a full suit w/ attached veil that will zip off. What I do is place the veil inside the suit then zip the suit closed. The suit protects the veil form abrasion. I then wash it on the gentle cycle and hang to dry. I do not use bleach, but Oxyclean. So far, no stains have failed to come out, but if it did come out stained, oh well. I don't think the bees care.

Sounds like a good technique, HB, I might try that on the next cleaning. And I like Oxyclean, too.

Ed

My suit will need washing at the end of the season, but what about the leather gloves? They are sticky & grimy looking, how does one clean those?

after a cut-out, my gloves go in the washing machine along with anything else honey covered. i set them out on patio furniture to airdry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    My suit will need washing at the end of the season, but what about the leather gloves? They are sticky & grimy looking, how does one clean those?
    Wash them with soap and water to get the honey off. After they are dry (and stiff) soak them in FGMO (aka mineral oil laxative aka mineral oil with no scent) and work that in well to soften them back up and dissolve the propolis. Then you can wipe them well on a rag. You can wash them and wipe them while wearing them for the easiest work.

After I wash and dry my veil (dome),I use heavy spray starch to stiffen it back up so it doesn't touch my face.
    Works pretty well.

I wash the jacket in the washer and the veil part in the tub. The veil (and the tub) both come out sparkly clean. lol