Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Funny looking Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    Ha ha ace, one of the local guys here got an AHB queen on accident and he loved her for that very reason, but the inspector said no and snuffed the hive
    I would and will snuff the inspector if he thinks to snuff a hive that does not have AFB.. I would re queen a hive suspected of AHB, but snuff... no. I also live in the country, so no one but me will have to deal with them..
    The vast majority of Feral queens I find in swarms, traps and cut outs look like that one, some are darker. Most are gold tiger stripe, some are black with gold tiger stripes, and I dearly LOVE to catch those queens.. They are a dream to get through winters.
    www.outyard.weebly.com 8 yrs aiding 40+ hives 3 yrs personal. 40+ of my own now (T, TF Goal) Zone 5a

I had a swarm move into the empty side of a divided 10F deep. She is of unknown origin so you know the drill. I'll sell her to Ace (if legal) but I've got to raise my price she is in the same jar of alcohol as the last one and I won't divide.

image.jpg

But I am not buying bees so it is probably going to be a hard sell.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

See, even Ace not want to buy a potential AHB queen.
    Albet that their genetics will be mixed if you allow the queen to
    send off some drones. But who would like to take this risk anyways, right.
    Are you going to combine the swarm with your non AHB queen by removing the divider?
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

Actually, the timing couldn't of been better I'll have cells ready Saturday. I'll go though and smash any cells they made and give them a new cell. I pulled the queen from the other side so they don't drift as hard. That last swarm came with bees that were almost grey these look more standard Italian ( a bit dark).

What are you going to do with the original queen after you take her out?
    So you will give new cell to both sides of the nucs, right?
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

Original?
    If you mean the queen that came with the swarm-kill her.
    If you mean the other queen in 10F I just put her in a different Nuc.

Yes each side will get a new cell.

Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Very clear to me now.
    So the queens goto the nucs that will overwinter, right.

I still have drones (they are actually increasing in #'s a bit now) and should have a bit of fall flow so I'll continue to raise some queens.

I have limited experience keeping bees and none of it is in a different climate. The term "overwintering" applied to beekeeping in Florida may create the wrong impression.My experience is that it is a season of "actively watching them fall apart".

It is interesting to know that you don't have a winter month there to overwinter your hives.
    Our temp dropped to the low 20s during the coldest winter months here. By then all the bees
    slow down their activities inside the hive. Maybe in your area there is no such thing as winter time so you
    can continue to raise more queens to continue your hive expansion. Do you have the Goldenrod flow also?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234