Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Funny looking Queen

sqkcrk:

Can you elaborate on the AHB NUCS? Where they went in NY, how long they were there, issues beek had with them? Thanks for any info.

Also.. hate to agree with Ace but as has been said on beesource, not all AHB are aggressive/mean/"killer bees". AHB are worked south of the border, with success correct? Selling the queen as probably being AHB would not be agasint the law, as it was written above. (Dont stone me for agreeing!!) Maybe passing on non aggressive AHB genetics would be a good idea instead of simply killing any queen. For new beeks reading this, MANY ISSUES with this idea. Do not try at home..

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Do you want AHBs in your hives? Really? Then, should you end up w/ some, how will you rid yourself of them? Sell them to someone else?
    No you know I don't. I would kill the whole hive because I have zero chance of finding the queen. Mark my posts tend to get turned around. It is not what I want, it is what someone else might want who is capable of dealing with it, IF the queen turn out to have AHB genetics. I am under the impression that hives that are AHB do not survive the winter up here. Isn't it equally possible that light colored queens in FL will have AHB genetics? If the state says you have to kill them all then they are basically saying you can't have feral bees. Something tells me they don't have a prayers chance in heck of policing that.
    Last edited by Acebird; 07-25-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Edited for Mark's clarification
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Dan, in Matt's case he has his reasons for pinching a queen's head. For one thing, it's quick and simple and done with. He doesn't have to deal w/ her anymore.

As far as the alleged AHB nucs in NY, I don't know names, but I saw the photos of the hives being dealt with. Last Friday I heard about these nucs/hives while at Wixson's, near Dundee, NY from Jerry and from a guy who introduced himself as "George, George of the Jungle". George told me about the bees and Jerry said he had heard about them too.

Then on Saturday, at the ESHPA Summer Picnic, a guy from the Finger Lakes Beekeepers Association told me what happened and showed me photos. This incidence is somewhere near Ithaca, I believe.

The nucs came from FL, shipped to NY. The nucs were installed into full sized equipment. After a period of time their aggressive behavior became known. The beekeeper, fully clothed, could not work them. Other beekeepers were called in to help. The State Apiculturalist was contacted. As far as I know, no one from Apiary Inspection saw these hives. After donning a full suit, two pairs of nitrile gloves, duct taped ankles and wrists, and a heavy sweatshirt, a beekeeper was able to approach the hives and close the entrance and apply a screen to the top, closing the bees in as best he could. This was all new tight equipment.

Being new equipment and not wanting to contaminate combs or woodenwear the hives were taken to a pond and dumped in, in an attempt to kill the bees and not do harm to the equipment. Which proved harder than was thought, but eventually worked.

Now, I am sure that there are all sorts of experts who can and may step forward to say what should have been done or could have been done or why wasn't something different tried, but those on sight made the best decisions possible under the circumstances.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    No you know don't.

Mark my posts tend to get turned around.

It is not what I want, it is what someone else might want who is capable of dealing with it, IF the queen turn out to have AHB genetcs.
    "No you know don't." Huh? Please edit so it makes sense. Thanks.

"Mark my posts tend to get turned around."

I have tried to suggest to you for years now that if you would speak from what you know and what you have experience doing your posts would not get turned around as much. If you are speculating, say so. Because when you write something it sure seems like that is what you think others should do.

Let's deal w/ what is known, not what fantasy one might dream up.

If the hive was new and tight they could have taken 5 gallon buckets of water and filled the hive where it stood.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I guess you didn't read the last paragraph in my Post or you don't care and think you know better. Maybe you should have been on site and saw that they did what you think best.

Poor Mbeck, all he or she had was a funny looking queen that was brought to show and tell, and the classroom has become an unexpected uproar.

Lol....when it comes my turn for show and tell, I'm thinking about showing a video on how to properly "squash" a queen. There will be hemolymph, spit, and guts everywhere!!
    Last edited by TalonRedding; 07-25-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Additional content
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    .... they could have taken 5 gallon buckets of water and filled the hive where it stood.
    OK, by popular request I am linking to the infamous original 5 gallon bucket o'water thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=Hurricane

Talon - you could put the intended (live) victim in a small container of alcohol, along with any other dead queens, and make a form of lure:

You can get your own QMP by putting all your old queens when you requeen and any unused virgin queens in a jar of alcohol. Put a few drops of this in the bait hive.

More about this concept here:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.htm

... minimal violence ...
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I know about that, I was just wanting to take the pressure off of Mbeck.
    That Michael Bush though.....he sure seems practical.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Show and Tell might be very interesting if instead you make a video of Ace's bucket o'water alleged solution.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Show and Tell might be very interesting if instead you make a video of Ace's bucket o'water alleged solution.
    I'm afraid I just don't muster up to the qualifications for that task....for all I know, the buckets may hold more cold water than warm water due to the fact that atoms move quicker at higher temps than cold ones. I would be the one to make that kinda mistake you know......
    Perhaps you should be the one to do it since it was your idea.......

Or we could both just let MBeck dispose of his unknown origin* queen on his own .... in any manner that he sees fit!

* unknown origin queen in a state that does have cases of confirmed AHB.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 07-25-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: correction
    Graham

sqkcrk: Thanks for the details. I am quite close (20-30 miles about) to Ithaca. Another person on here is closer than I am. I am not interested in armchair quarter backing. Thanks for the info. Wondering if some of the drones made their way to any local queens.

I am not sure about the concept AHB will die up North. ALso, any idea if they are being sent out for AHB testing?

No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    his AHB queens
    Whoa! That's not proven, my inspector was just here to take this years samples (early I might add), knew of no confirmed AHB in my immediate area and the few beekeepers that could be within flight range (+\- 250 hives) pride themselves on having gentle bees.

....but other than calling my bees names thanks for sticking up for me

I've tried to explain some of the good reasons that someone might have used to pinch her so that I could avoid the magic survivor stock local adapted mite resistant genetic vigor arguement.

So here it is.......
    The #1 reason she's dead is she had the wrong coloration. If she at least had classic "Italian" coloring I would have felt bad.

Truth is I'd push a hive beetle out of the way to squash a freak like that queen.

Ha ha that's the " right color " in my neck of the woods ... Although your queens are quite beautifull as well

MBeck has a valid point - even though my earlier comment (post #52) was intended in jest, complete with smiley - the queen under discussion is of unknown origin. I have edited my post to reflect that.

I'm not one of those that has a problem admitting my mistake and correcting my posts when I make an error!
    Graham

Can you do something about other peoples mistakes? Mine?

Thanks Harley

Radar: It's all good!

I now have a single, cheap and readily availible solution to two of Florida beekeepers infrequent but serious threats.

"A bucket is the thinking man's bailing wire!"

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Can you do something about other peoples mistakes? Mine?
    Admitting other peoples mistakes isn't an endearing quality!
    I tried it often in Tailgater

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast