Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Funny looking Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    but the inspector said no and snuffed the hive
    He should have pull the queen and let the daughters get the inspector.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Wah, wah, wah, stop being a baby. There is nothing wrong with selling something to someone if you are honest about what you are selling. Just because a queen is dark doesn't mean it will exhibit AFB characteristics. Some people buy rattle snakes and some people kill rattle snakes.
    Come to think of it maybe a couple of killer bee hives is what I need to take care of the $hIt heads that trespass on our land and think they own it. I got a suit, I am sure they don't.
    You do not know what you are talking about. You do not want these bees around at all. Maybe you were being sarcastic, but I don't think so. As I Posted above, AHB nucs were shipped to NY and it was all an experienced beekeeper fully clothed in protective garments could do to deal w/ them. Requeening was tried but to no avail. Killing the colony was the only answer. The only solution.

I don't wish AHB upon you, Brian. But it would be nice if you tried what you propose one of these days.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Easy for you to say.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Wah, wah, wah, stop being a baby. There is nothing wrong with selling something to someone if you are honest about what you are selling.
    Uhhh, Ace, it is a violation of Florida law!
    586.025 Unlawful acts.—It shall be unlawful to:
    (1) Introduce into this state any honeybee pest or an unwanted race of honeybees, except under special permit issued by the department, which shall be the sole issuing agency for such special permits.
    (2) Use the terms “certified honey,” “certified,” “registered,” or “inspected” or any other term to convey or imply to the purchaser that the honey is certified honey, unless the honey has been certified by the department.
    (3) Label, represent, advertise, or offer honey for sale unless it meets the definition provided in this chapter.
    (4) Knowingly sell, offer for sale, or distribute any honeybee, any unwanted race of honeybee, or any regulated article infested or infected with any honeybee pest declared by rule of the department to be a nuisance or threat to the state’s apiary industry.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statute...Chapter586/All
    Note that Mbeck is a Florida resident.

Article 5 is quite interesting ...
    (5) Knowingly conceal, or willfully withhold information regarding, honeybees, honeybee pests, unwanted races of honeybees, or regulated articles from the department.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statute...Chapter586/All
    Ace, are you willing to do jail time for concealing evidence?

Maybe you could get adjoining cells and swap bee stories!

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 07-24-2014 at 09:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Key word there is knowingly, if he doesn't send them off to be tested then how will he know ? Do they require samples of all colonies to be sent off before selling in florida?

Well, lets see - Beesource is a public forum, and member AmericasBeekeeper is a State of Florida Apiary inspector. A supervisor even, if I am not mistaken. This thread is a good start on showing that the acts that Ace is promoting as "nothing wrong" were [about to be] committed "knowingly".
    Graham

Brian/Ace, once again many of us here on BS who joined ...moons/years ago..... recognize you for what you are, but to those new beekeepers who recently joined BS or started beekeeping and read this forum; you are doing a grave injustice. They read what you've written and unfortunately take what you say as the correct way of doing. You need to keep those beeks in mind when you respond to a forum posting.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I have loftier goals than mating Queens to head hive "that won't tear you a new one". I would have pinched her without the BMP guidelines or even if I lived in a different state. She just doesn't fit into my plan. I don't have the equipment to waste on an unknown and I'm not that curious.

I'll make an exception and sell her to Ace if it's legal.
    I'll include free shipping for $50.00 I'll even throw in the jar full of alcohol she's in.

I know nothing of AHB but...would not the swarm and the Queen itself be nasty if they were of that breeding? Would not the drones from the swarm be able to pass on genes?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    Key word there is knowingly, if he doesn't send them off to be tested then how will he know ? Do they require samples of all colonies to be sent off before selling in florida?
    Yes, hives used for breeding are tested every year and there are guidelines for Drone saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    I know nothing of AHB but...would not the swarm and the Queen itself be nasty if they were of that breeding? Would not the drones from the swarm be able to pass on genes?
    I think that's the problem AHB traits aren't noticeable in smaller/swarm sizes the traits show as they grow. This swarm wasn't aggressive and I didn't notice any drones.

Maybe AmBeek will show up and explain, I'm sure he knows more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Shame she's going to get pinched.
    This is what Mbeck said in the first post. I can't imagine he would take the time to mark her if he thought this queen was AHB. And then he took some more time to photograph her. Wouldn't he have just pinched her? He stated he had no use for her in his apiary but he did not say he thought she was AHB.
    Do we just kill things because of fear? Oh yeah that is right we are humans. We kill our own kind based on fear alone.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Well Ace, when you were looking for that quote from Mbeck I guess you missed this part ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    The recommended Florida Best Management Practices is to requeen all swarms. I'm not interested in queens from an unknown source.

... didn't your actions cause your pig to be killed? ...
    Graham

If someone doesn't like him killing the queen, why not offer him the market price for a mated queen? I have a sneaking suspicion he would rather put a $20 bill in his billfold than pinch a possible good laying queen for nothing.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Do we just kill things because of fear? Oh yeah that is right we are humans. We kill our own kind based on fear alone.
    I am afraid that some of the things you write about will be taken by those who don't know better as sound advice and someone will regret doing so. But, no, I don't want to kill you.

Brian, no one is killing queens found in swarms in FL purely and only because of fear. There is good solid evidence and experience that swarms of unknown origin, in FL, are as likely as not to have come from AHB colonies or derivitives thereof. Do you want AHBs in your hives? Really? Then, should you end up w/ some, how will you rid yourself of them? Sell them to someone else?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by TalonRedding View Post
    If someone doesn't like him killing the queen, why not offer him the market price for a mated queen? I have a sneaking suspicion he would rather put a $20 bill in his billfold than pinch a possible good laying queen for nothing.
    Except for the potential liability which Matt mentioned earlier.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I am afraid that some of the things you write about will be taken by those who don't know better as sound advice and someone will regret doing so. But, no, I don't want to kill you.

Brian, no one is killing queens found in swarms in FL purely and only because of fear. There is good solid evidence and experience that swarms of unknown origin, in FL, are as likely as not to have come from AHB colonies or derivitives thereof. Do you want AHBs in your hives? Really? Then, should you end up w/ some, how will you rid yourself of them? Sell them to someone else?
    I'm not saying I disagree with the practice... in fact I don't really care.

My only thought is, how many (what percentage) of swarms are man-caught? I have to believe it's a very very small amount. Seems unlikely to really make much of a difference. I could see not wanting someone to keep an unknown queen "downtown", but other than that...

I bought 2 nucs brought up from Florida that were very aggressive. Not fun at all to work and really downright scary. I don't blame this beek for being cautious. I ended up requeening and losing precious time for brood rearing.

Doesn't PatBeek collect Ferrell bees in florida and put them in hives in his back yard? http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ghtmare-at-end I haven't seen him really post anything about any problems. Is he not in a AHB area of Florida or do the range the entire state?

From the way it's explained to us in the bee club and have heard it conf'd by state apiary inspectors....NORTH of I4 Hwy....pretty safe from AHB...south of I4 is questionable.
    If a hive were TOO aggressive than yeah...I'd requeen...dont wanna deal with that.
    I've seen mine pissy!! but I blame that on the timing of the inspection, my fumbling thru the hive, and summer dearth.
    Since, they've settled down. Watched em this morning for a few mins. They were busy as all git-out flying in-n-out and the sun was hardly even up. They're working something.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast